On the Eighth Day of Christmas: Some New Year's Goals

January 1, 2019. The page has been turned on the calendar and it's a fresh blank slate for the new year. I know people fall into two categories - those who love to set goals, make resolutions and start the new year off this way. And then there are those who roll their eyes and think it's silly to make resolutions that you'll never keep.


I personally like to make goals each year because I think if you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time. I want to have a direction in which to start and while I may not complete each goal I set for myself, I do find that I certainly get further than I would have if I had no direction to go. I try to make the goals reasonable enough that I can reach them.


Dan and I went for a two mile walk by the lake yesterday and it was pleasant. The temperature wasn't too bad and there was no wind so it made for a warm-ish walk. As we walked, we chatted about children, ministry, and life. It was nice to be able to connect with each other this way as we talked about our own goals for our future. We get so busy that it's easy to lose the connection with each other. One of my goals is to stop and sit with my husband once a week just to connect.


Another goal I have this year is to get rid of some of those bad habits and ways of communication with my family that have been clinging on to me for years. When I really stop and listen to my responses to them I cringe. There are times I hear myself talk to them in ways that I would never respond to anyone else. Ouch! I want to make 2019 a time of cutting off those dead branches.


I would like 2019 to be a year of doing a better job of enjoying and appreciating beauty around me. Dan bought me snow shoes for Christmas and once I get a pair of boots that don't hurt my arches, I would like to get out and do some exploring this winter. I've spent the past 5 winters here stuck indoors with injuries so this year, I'd love to get out and actually soak in the beauty of winter. And I'm hoping the movement will help shed those extra pounds too.
 
 
I want to make 2019 a year in which I soak in God's word and be diligent in study. I sit and read my Bible and pray each morning, but I also want to be diligent in studying for my consecration exam and recalling God's word. I want to be diligent as I prepare to teach, speak and write.


And I would like to be 2019 to be a year of waiting on God and stop trying to constantly push Him along the way I want to go. I'm an impatient person who likes to see instant answers and yet, that's pretty unrealistic in life. I'm learning to be still and wait.
 

So to recap these larger goals in categories, here they are for 2019.

Spiritual Development
1. Continue with daily devotions/Bible reading
2. Study at least 30 minutes a day for consecration exams
3. Pray each day for concerns I have and for God's will in our lives and ministry

Family
1. Connection time with Dan each week
2. Work on communication style with family
3. Listen more, pray more, speak less

Personal
1. Take time to walk, pray and appreciate
2. More photography which inspires my writing
3. More movement

I have a number of smaller goals I'd like to achieve, but these are the big three.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haste Makes Waste in Decision-Making

The Result of Staying Connected

Eating to Live