Reflections for Easter: The Bread that Gives Life




I mix together flour, yeast and salt with water and begin to mix the ingredients together. This is a task I do at least once or twice a week. Making bread is second nature to me and after years of experience, I no longer need the recipes. I know the right mix of ingredients, can tell by the feel of the bread when it's the right consistency and when it will be a success and when it will fail.

As I turn out the dough and begin to push, mold and knead it, I'm reminded of other bread that was given for me. Jesus tell his disciples, "I am the bread of life" "No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in Me will ever be thirsty again. (John 4:35)"

I put the bread into a bowl, cover it and let it rise.

This bread of life that was given for me should have been recognized for who he was and worshipped.

After the bread rises, I punch it down so that it can rise again.

The bread of life was broken and bruised for me. He was slapped, punched, mocked and scorned. He endured this for me. Nails were pounded through his flesh.  He was lifted in agony on a wooden beam, hanging from his pierced hands and feet for my sins. He slowly suffocated as his lungs collapsed so I would be not have to be spiritually hungry or thirsty again.

After the bread rises again, I shape the loaves and place them on the pan for a third rise. 

He was removed from the cross so the Jewish law would not be defiled. No bodies were to remain on the tree during the Sabbath. These same Jews who were so worried about their precious law had no idea of the heinous act they had just committed against God who had given them those laws. 

I place the pan into the oven and close the door.  The oven light goes out as the bread browns, rises and bakes. 

Jesus was placed inside a tomb. He was wrapped in grave cloths.  The stone was rolled in front of the opening and the light was shut out as the rock sealed the entrance. 

After the timer goes off, I pull out two loaves of beautifully risen, browned bread. My family loves bread and later on we will break into these loaves and eat them. We will taste the crispy crust and the soft inside. We will be filled with the goodness of this bread.

After three days, the bread of life had risen. He was no longer in tomb. Jesus had victory over the grave and because of this victory we can taste and see His goodness. He fills us and we no longer have to hunger or thirst.

As we reflect on this sacrifice for us today, recognize the magnitude of what was done for each one of us. As you partake of bread today, give thanks for the Bread that gives life. He was broken so that we may have eternal life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Crafting Wednesday

A Mindful Year

When the Unexpected Pops Up