Split Pea Soup with Ham

I had a bunch of leftover ham to use up so I decided to make Split Pea Soup with ham yesterday. My children must be strange because they love split pea soup.

First, I chopped a medium onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 celery stalk, and carrots.
Photobucket

Saute them in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Photobucket

I added in two or three sprigs of fresh thyme and a bay leaf. If I had fresh rosemary, I would add that as well. Saute for a minute or two to release the flavors.
Photobucket

Add a 1 lb. bag of dried split peas and saute for 1 minute. Add more salt & pepper to taste.
Photobucket

You can now add a can of chicken broth or vegetable broth. I always freeze my broth when I boil a chicken so I just take it out of the freezer and pop it into the soup.
Photobucket

Add 6-8 cups of water. Simmer on low until the soup is creamy, about an hour and a half.

I chopped up the ham and added it at this point. Simmer until ham is thoroughly heated, about 20 more minutes. I have made this without ham in the past.
Photobucket

Photobucket


I served it with homemade whole wheat, flax seed bread and homemade jam.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Mmmmm, mmmm, good! It's not the prettiest looking stuff but it certainly is tasty.
Photobucket

Comments

  1. Oh Terri, my mouth is watering! Will you keep me some? lol!

    I'm going to have to go and eat something now...you've made me hungry! lol!

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, by the time it gets to you, Tina, I don't think it would be very good! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really yummy, Terri and I love pea soup. The homemade bread and jam looks scrumpeous also. Do you think you could make that when we come up? Huh? Huh? :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, though I don't know how tasty it will be in the hot summer - lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live