Panting After God

Your statutes are wonderful, therefore I obey them. The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands. Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me." Psalm 119:129-133

Do you long for God's word more than food? As you go throughout your day are you meditating on His word? I confess that usually that in the busyness of the day that this is not always the first thing on my mind. I think about the Lord and his words but not to the point of figuratively panting. Is the Lord filling the need or hole in your life or is something else doing that?

I love verse 133 which says to direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. Is sin ruling your life? Gossip? Complaining? Gluttony? Unkindness? Anger? Self-pity? So often I find myself dealing with the same sin ovr and over again. I don't want sin to rule me. This will only happen as we ask the Lord to take control and then we consciously make sure that everything we do is in line with His word.

Our goal should be to have the Lord so present in our lives that He directs each step we take. This is my prayer. I want to long after the Lord more than anything else.

Comments

  1. Very timely, Terri, for me as I try to refocus and prepare for a new school year. I don't want to get so busy that I forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Terri. It seems that the older I get the faster the days whiz by and it's so easy to get swept away and not make time for the Lord.

    I'm with you, I want to have as much of God as He will let me have and I want His constant presence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Terri, that you can still take time to put a thoughtful post up when you are in the middle of house moving!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri When you have time please email me your address. You won my drawing.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri,
    I pray your moving is going "smoothly". :) Wonderful post! It reminds me of an old 4Him song "Fingertips & Noses"; about small children at a school when the teacher told the story of Christ's return and the children ran to the windows to look for Him! May we all be that way!
    Miss you,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live