Caramel

I love this recipe. It's so easy and you can make the caramel as hard or as soft as you like. If you want to just eat it like candy, then boil it longer. If you are going to use it as a topping for ice cream, apple crisp or to dip apples in, don't boil it as long.

First, melt 1 cup of butter. If you don't want brown flecks in your caramel, don't let the butter scorch like I did :-(!
Photobucket

Add 2 1/4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup of light corn syrup, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1-15 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk (whoever invented this stuff should get a medal). Bring to a boil and heat to 245 degrees fahrenheit.
Photobucket

Remove from the heat and add 1 tsp. of vanilla. Beat for a few minutes.
Photobucket

Pour into a buttered 9x13" pan. Let cool and cut into squares while still slightly soft. Store in the refrigerator. See the little brown flecks? That's because the butter scorched. You don't want yours to look like that!
Photobucket

If you just want the caramel as a topping, let cool and then pour into a airtight container and refrigerate. Just heat up if it gets too hard.

Comments

  1. Terri that sounds a bit like what we call 'fudge'. Is it soft or hard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, it depends how long you cook it. Mine is very soft because I'm using it for toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made homemade caramel. This looks so good, brown flecks and all! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy....Do you know how much I like Caramel? I eat it in any form that I can get it in. I will be trying this out but only for company otherwise, I would be as big as a barn! LOL!

    Oh, and I wouldn't let a few flecks discourage me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious, Terri!

    Blessings,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live