Christmas Cookies

I'm so far behind on my Christmas preparations this year. Normally, I start making Christmas cookies in October and freeze them. Our last house had a large, upright freezer that came with it so I had plenty of space. This year, we only have a little chest freezer. I just don't have the space to do them ahead.

I am starting to plan out what type of cookies I'll make this year. I have some old standards that I always make and I try to do something new each year. I use them for gifts, parties, church, and here. We always have a day after Thanksgiving, tree-trimming party for the kids. I lay out Christmas cookies, hot chocolate, egg nog and turn on the Christmas music. The children are looking forward to it this year because their grandparents will be here as well.

Here are some of the cookies I'm planning:

gingerbread men
chocolate snowflakes
pepparkakor (swedish ginger thins)
sugar cookies
cinnamon pinwheels
mexican tea cakes
kulachky (polish jam-filled cookies)
snickerdoodles
lemon squares
date tarts

I may add or change some but these are pretty standard every year. Now I just need to find the time to make them and some place to store them.

Comments

  1. I'm familiar with most of these, but certainly not all. Would you be so kind as to post pictures and recipes as you bake them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all sound great, Terri! Some of our yearly traditional cookies are: gingerbread boys, jam filled thumbprints, peanut butter with hershey kisses, and we always make peppermint vanilla bark and chocolate pretzel bark.
    I look forward to your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum..I'm so glad you're going to post recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, Terri! I need to get busy planning!
    Miriam :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been a Christmas cookie kind of person because I would only eat them as I make them! LOL
    But I guess for my children I need to try. I would love to see some of your recipes also. So now I wonder if I have anything sweet here to eat.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terri,

    We have been thinking about Christmas baking here too! Your cookies sound delicious!!

    Blessings,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to your pix and posts about these recipes :o)

    I just made some gingerbread men with a *new to me* recipe and they weren't what I expected so I'll keep my eyes open for that one!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're doing great, even if you didn't start in October! I have my flour measured out for four different cookie types, but that's about it so far. I'm watching for butter to go on sale. Your selection looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all sound wonderful and I would like to see the recipes as you make them as well.

    One year when we made cookies to send to family, I made 8 different kinds and did it over the weekend. I made the dough for these eight different kinds on Saturday and worked all day on it. Then I baked them two nights in a row during the week and then boxed them and sent them. I did this about two weeks before Christmas. It was a lot of work but fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so organized! I'm afraid that if I made Christmas cookies early we would eat them early. I would have to hide them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.