Creative Writing & Bible Curriculum

I found the neatest curriculum that combines creative writing with the Bible. It's put out by Positive Action for Christ and it's called, In Their Sandals by Rand Hummel.

Photobucket

It takes common Bible stories and has the student put themselves in the story and use their imaginations. We are working on the story in Mark of the demonic man that Jesus delivers by driving the demons into the pigs.

Some questions that they have to answer are:

* What did the demon-possessed man smell like?

* What did it sound like as the pigs crashed into the water and drowned?

There is a part where the student is to put himself into the pig herdsman's shoes.

* Describe what you see and hear when the demons enter your pigs and start rushing down the side of the mountain.

* Your pigs are now dead and your boss is going to be mad. Picture yourself standing at the top of the hill and seeing over 1,000 dead hogs knowing that you are going to have to answer for this. Who will you blame this on and why?

My kids love creative writing so this is right up their alley. They've been busily writing for the past 30 minutes.

Photobucket

There is a section where they apply the principles they are learning. I'm so glad I discovered this program.

Comments

  1. I'm glad that you found a curriculum that you like and that your children like doing. I'm glad that I don't have to answer those questions, I think they are hard...One of the benefits of being out of school but I must admit that we should be asking ourselves tough questions especially when it comes to God's Word to make sure we are lined up to His plan for this world and for our own lives especially with this new election year and the things that are going on in our country and world.

    Blessings to you and yours,

    Dianne/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really interesting way of presenting the work Terri, so much more appealing than straight facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soooo cool!! I would have loved that kind of writing curriculum. I bet it will be exciting for you to read what your kids' thoughts are on each story that they do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live