The Gift of Giving

Photobucket

Believe it or not, this is the first year my children have ever had their own money to go Christmas shopping. Usually, we give them each some money and they hit the dollar store to purchase gifts for each other.

This year the boys earned money fixing up the building next door and Emily had some money she earned helping me around the house. They were so excited to go out today and get their shopping done.

Nathan made a comment to me that warmed my heart. He said, "Now I know how you and Dad must feel when you buy gifts for us." "It's exciting being able to think about what you want to buy someone and use your own money to buy it." He also said, "I can't wait to see everyone's faces on Christmas day."

Emily was skipping by me in the store and said, "I love shopping for others with my own money!" They really understood the joy of giving to others. It was amazing for me, as their mother, to see the excitement and happiness in their faces as they picked out the gifts, paid for them, and brought them home and wrapped them.

Photobucket

When you give to others, they are not the only ones who receive a gift. You get one too. This year my children have received the gift of giving to others.

Comments

  1. Isn't it great? Kathyrne made some of her own gifts this year and she was sooo excited at the gift opening of my family to have them open hers. She almost didn't even care when she got to open her's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so wonderful, Terri!
    my kids also have learned this lesson, especially Kaycie. The boys spend money as fast as it hits their hands but not Kaycie... she has saved up almost $100!! (7 years old!)
    She has decided to use some money to buy gifts for friends and family. We went to the dollar store today and she did some shopping and the other day bought some things at Goodwill. She came home and did her own wrapping.
    She is so excited, she can hardly stand it!!
    I love the "gift of giving"... it's so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome to dee they have been watching and listening all these years to you and Dad!! Be very proud of the job you are doing!:0) Merry Chrismas Terri to you and your family may you be fully Blessed!!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri,

    What a sweet day for all of you! They will be filled with such anticipation to see everyone open their special hand picked gifts!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful thought and a wonderful lesson learned by your children, Terri. I think that it is wonderful that they have had opportunities to work and earn their own money and that they get to experience the joy and pleasure of shopping and giving to others. Wonderful life lessons. It sounds like they are already reaping some of the benefits of the Christmas Spirit.

    Tell them that I love them very much!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live