Be Careful Little Feet

Photobucket

"Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow"


The other night I was sitting and working on making cards when Emily went and grabbed a bunch of craft supplies and sat at the table and started making a card too. She loves to follow in my steps and do what I do. If I craft, she wants to do it too. When I cook, she wants to help. If I have a snack, she wants one. It reminded me of how often my children watch me and emulate what I do.

"Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray"


However, they also mimic my words and attitudes. I have cringed many times to hear harsh words coming out of their mouths to each other, only to realize that they've heard that from me. Many times one of my children has had a bad attitude towards someone or a task, and I recognize the same attitude in myself. I've seen my children question me over and over about something I've promised because they are not sure I won't change my mind.

"It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day"


I find it amazing how the Lord uses our children to often point out our weaknesses. Many times we don't even notice how we've stumbled or fallen into sin, until we see that same sin in our children's lives. The words to the Casting Crowns song, Slow Fade, that I've posted here are a good reminder. 

As parents, we need to be careful. We have little hands, feet, and eyes following and watching us. What kind of example are we setting? What will they see or hear when they watch us? When we mess up, we pay the price but an unforseen price is the example we set for our children.

We need to live our lives in such a way that we make each moment count. Families don't fall apart because of one small mistake. However, add up all of those mistakes and it becomes a mountain!

Let's live our lives deliberately. In 2009 I want to choose my words, actions, attitudes and thoughts wisely. I want to live in such a way that when my children look back, they will see the example I set and call me blessed. I don't want them to look back and see all the mistakes I made.

This is probably sounding like a downer of a post but I've been mulling these thoughts over the past few days and wanted to share them.

Let's not forget the most important part of this song:

"Oh be careful little eyes what see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love

Oh be careful little eyes what you see"



Photobucket


Comments

  1. What a great post Terri, and very true. I remember the first time I saw the video for that particular Casting Crowns song...it sent shivers up my spine. I too have seen my children say and do things I know have come from me, they do indeed watch our every move, even if it is subconciously.

    Thank you for this reminder. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I did not find it a "downer" at all. Thanks for sharing it.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent post! It's so true that what we do right , so do our children, and what we do wrong... oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song. Those words are so true and a good reminder.

    Emily is so cute with her cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard that song before ~ but what a great message you have shared. Thanks Terri!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! It's amazing how they pick up even the little things that we do. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have always appreciated Casting Crowns... they tell it like it is, and that is refreshing in a world where things are so "gray".
    Good thoughts today, Terri.
    Tell Emily her card looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi terri,
    This is so true. I will share a cute story with you. When Christopher was a little baby I use to rock him and tell him that someday I would be so sad because he would married and and I would have an empty nest. Well the week he got married I cried all week. LOL One day he looked at me and said ah mom you are just feeling the empty nest coming.I asked him how he knew that and he said when I was a little boy you use to rock me and tell that. Wow I couldn't believe he remember that far back. LOL
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.