Housewives Do Nothing?

Many times I get the sense that people think a stay at home Mom sits around and watches soap operas all day long. I've heard people say, "I wish I could stay at home." like somehow it's a vacation! I'm sure that there are some women who do shape their days around the latest television show and probably don't put a whole lot of effort into taking care of their house.

Early in our marriage, Dan & I worked for an inner city ministry and were mentored by a gentleman who felt that as believers we should do everything with excellence. I find that I have tried to apply that to my homemaking. Does that mean I'm perfect? Far from it! In fact, there are many days when I struggle. However, I feel that if I am going to stay home, that I want my life to be more than sitting and watching t.v. or yapping on the phone all day.

I also should clarify that I don't have any health issues and I don't have any babies. My day looked a lot different when I had very little ones who needed much more of my attention. Also, I know many ladies struggle with some major health problems which requires more rest. We certainly should not compare ourselves! My point to this post, is that no matter what the circumstances, we should put our best foot forward!

Yesterday was one of those days when I wondered how in the world people could think that homemakers don't do anything.

Here was my to-do list from yesterday. I managed to get everything done, except the vacuuming:

* Got the kids up and fed
* Breakfast cleanup
* Shower & dress
* Make crockpot granola
* Make playdough
* Watched friend's two little girls (5 & 4) from 8:45-5:20 p.m. because of a snow day (which is why I made the playdough)!
* Get dinner going in the crockpot
* School this a.m. - included science, math, english, government, read to the girls, helped them with their workbooks, etc. (Much of our school requires me sitting and working with the children do to learning issues)
* Make pizza dough for lunch
* Make laundry soap for 2 months
* 2 loads of laundry
* Make pizza
* Lunch & cleanup
* Vacuum living room/kitchen
* Sew for about 45 minutes
* Make naan
* Dinner & cleanup

I also spend a large amount of time helping Dan in his role as pastor. I am the church secretary and the children's ministry coordinator at our church so that does take up a good chunk of my time each week. In between everything yesterday, I made phone calls, sent out emails and a whole host of other things. There are days, because I'm home, I can minister to people that need me.

I know it's easy to get trapped in the mindset that all I am is a housewife. I think the value comes in how you view your role. If you view what you are doing as a ministry to your family and also to the Lord because after all, everything we do should be for the Lord, it will definitely give you a different perspective.

Comments

  1. Once again Terri, you gave me a word right in time! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amem Terri. Just this morning at the market a clerk said to me when we were taking about cooking from scratch But you don't work. You have plenty of time. Hello I do work. I have an important job and ministry. Boy did my fur fly. LOL
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! I often have parents of my kids' friends ask me to pick up their kids, volunteer for this or that, you name it because "you don't work so you have time for all that".

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a topic that seems to come up often. I love being a "stay at home" mommy! When we first got married we decided that when children came along, I would be home, if at all possible. This culture definitely does not make it easy living on one income but it is doable... we don't have fancy things or alot of "toys". that's ok with me... i like being busy at home with my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ALL work - its just some of us get paid for every hour in financial terms, others for some, others do not. But the Lord rewards us all for ou#r faithful service.
    BTW Terri -can you share your crockpot granola recipe sometime?Thanks- blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure did a lot, give yourself a pat on the back. :) There's a lot of value in all that accomplished work, as well as how much you mean to your family.

    By the way, I really appreciate you mentioning homemakers at home who have health challenges. One doesn't have to have little ones or be pregnant to struggle with energy or other health issues. I say the following with kind intent - if I could I would trade 9 mos. of carrying a baby or a few years of having littles instead of being ill the rest of my life.

    It can be frustrating when people don't see the value of what homemakers do or understand why we are at home, but I've learned that sadly many just don't get it and probably never will.

    Yes, I would agree that all women work, no matter where we are in life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela,

    Here you go: http://heartsinservice.blogspot.com/2008/09/crockpot-granola.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good perspective of your day Terri, non stop as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, what energy you must have! It makes me tired just reading your list let alone doing it. I use to have days where I could accomplish that much but now I just get up and try to accomplish as much as I can....maybe there is something to that making a list of things that one wants to accomplish...it helps keep you on target, I would think. I may have to start doing that so that I have something to check off. Right now, I make a to do list in my head and then start working towards accomplishing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live