Becoming a Man

Well, we reached a milestone yesterday. Nathan shaved for the first time. He's been sporting fuzz on his upper lip for awhile but it's gotten darker and darker. I like to tease him that he has dirt up there! He also had little tufts of hair on his chin. Of course, nothing is growing in evenly so it was time for him to shave it off.

When did my child start becoming a man? Often I will be doing something in the back of the house and hear a voice and wonder who is here, only to find out it is Nathan.

He is taller than me now. He cracks me up because at church he will walk up to one of the men and throw his arm around their shoulder, just because he's tall enough to do it. You can also see him puffing out his chest!

It's a strange experience having your little boy grow up into a man. I have to deal with him differently and that has been an adjustment. We've hardly ever had to discipline Nathan for misbehavior but when he does do something wrong, I've been pulling back and letting Dan deal with him.

However, it's a bitter-sweet feeling. My son is growing up!

Comments

  1. I know the feeling, Terri. It's exciting for them, and heartbreaking for us mamas at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit choked up reading your post! My kiddos are still young, but they've already grown so fast. It reminded me that I will be teaching Afton (5) how to shave her legs before too long. Caleb (3) already "practiced" shaving with Mike. I hope he didn't like it too much..lol So, I better enjoy the little moments while I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to watch your children grow up when they become teens because you feel like your losing them and soon they will be gone and out on their own.

    But that only last for a short while and then they're back with wife's or husband's and grandchildren.

    Then you'll enter an entirely new phase of life. A time when you can become friends with your children and get to enjoy your grandchildren without having to be responsible for them. A Blessed time of life.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri ~

    Yes, it is a little bittersweet! Our Nathan just turned 26 ~ wow, where did the years go! But having grown up children has a sweetness of it's own! And now having a little grandson ~ I am starting to experience the joys without the responsibilities like your mom said! Enjoy each day with your sweet ones! :)

    Blessings on your day!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Terri, Yes you are right, it certainly is a strange feeling seeing your little boy developing into a man. My 'baby' got married two weeks ago, and I can tell you, that most certainly is very odd, especially hearing him referring to his wife! It will take some getting used to, but at the same time is a lovely feeling, knowing that the child that you have nurtured has become this man, the head of his household, especially when you know that he is a man of God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bitter-sweet indeed. I know how you feel, my little boy is 26, stands 6'2" (I'm 5'1") and will be getting married in September. My little boy has grown into a fine young man that I am very proud of. Like Sharon said, having grown up children "has a sweetness of it's own!" But it doesn't stop the little tugs at your heart along the way. Thanks for sharing and I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, what a milestone indeed! Mine is only 7 so hopefully he won't reach that one for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the feeling, too. It's both strange and wonderful as they grow and the relationship gradually shifts to be more adult to adult in some ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live