Vanilla Extract

I decided to try my hand at something new - making my own vanilla extract. It is so easy!

Take 3 vanilla beans and slice them lengthwise down the middle, making sure to leave the ends intact. Put them in a mason jar and pour in 1 cup of vodka. Give it a good shake and place in a cool, dark cupboard. Shake the jar once a week and let sit for about 3-4 months. It will get darker as time goes on.

Viola! You have extract. As you use it up, you can top it off with more vodka. Also, after a while you can replace the beans with new ones and continue this pattern forever. In the long run, it is more economical and costs much better than the imitation stuff you buy in the store.

Comments

  1. What a great idea! I love making these kinds of things from scratch and...too just knowing that it can be done without some company doing it for us.

    I'm trying to think where I could pick up vanilla beans - we live in a very rural town and the stores here carry mostly convenience type foods. This makes cooking very difficult when trying to make real food for your family.

    It is neat to be able to make things like butter, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. because you really can do it. We have become so dependent on processing and convenience foods that we have forgotten how to do these things.

    Thank you for showing us how to make the vanilla extract! I think food tastes better when we made it with our own hands! :O)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I got mine at http://www.penzeys.com. They have great spices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that you could do such. Where did you find the whole beans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I saw in the previous comment that you already answered my question. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we must think alike. My stepmom and I were just talking about making our own vanilla extract on Sunday. I have a friend who makes it.. she says to use the cheapest vodka you can find.
    In fact it's on my grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, it should be at least 40 proof Vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the pastor's wife has become a drinker? What is this world coming to? LOL!

    Sounds like a great idea where ever did you learn about this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanilla extract purposes only - MOM!!! LOL I found out about it on the web.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.