Fish Tales

I had my first experience filleting a fish today. Let me just say......

EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! Slimy!!!

Someone gave us a fresh caught trout that was about 2 1/2 feet long. It's hard to tell from this picture but the thing was gigantic.
Photobucket

I cut down both sides of the backbone to fillet it. To be honest, I could of done a better job but I had no idea what I was doing! :-)
Photobucket

Then I used a pair of pliers to get the pin bones out. That part was actually kind of fun.
Photobucket

We had it for dinner. I fried it in butter with fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and cilantro.
Photobucket

I never would of been able to afford that much fish and it was gutted for us so this was definitely a wonderful gift! There was none left so I would say it was a hit.

Comments

  1. Good job with the fish! I have always let my husband clean them up - I just cook them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. my favourite! We sometimes just slit it down one side, after gutting, fill it with lemon slices and lots of parsley, and then wrap in foil and BBQ it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have always done like Elizabethd suggested. It's actually alot easier because once the fish has cooked the meat just pops right out of the skin. My Dad likes to eat the skin, it gets crispy when fried in butter.
    You went to alot of work, next time you could maybe try it without skinning.
    What a great friend to provide such a yummy catch for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I actually did not skin it. I just cut the fillets off the bone, but I kept the skin on.

    I'll have to try it your way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did that once and vowed never to do it again. By the time Juan and I were done fileting it we were exhausted and there wasnt that much meat left. We figured it wasnt worth the money in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a pretty good job, not to know what you were doing and the cooked fish looks delicious!

    Makes me hungry even though its only 8:52 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.