Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sourdough Starter & Bread

I love sourdough bread and have wanted to make it for awhile. I finally tried my hand at making starter. I cheated and did it the quick way. Generally you just add equal amounts of flour and water in a sterilized glass container to catch airborne yeast. I'm still planning on trying this, but this takes about a week and I wanted to make bread today so I went ahead with this recipe.

2 cups lukewarm water
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix all the ingredients together and whisk until well blended. Cover the bowl loosely with wax paper or cheese cloth and set in a warm, draft-free place for 12 hours. After I made the bread, I transferred my starter to a glass jar.
Photobucket

Today I went ahead and made bread with the starter and the loaves turned out great.
Photobucket

I think if I let the starter sit longer next time, the bread will have more of the sour taste, but it was still delicious.

Just remember to feed your starter equal amounts of water and flour to keep it going.