Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Other Christmas Traditions












A number of years ago, Dan and I started a Christmas tradition of celebrating Advent by having a Jesse Tree. Basically, from December 1st to the 25th we read a passage of scripture and then have the kids hang an ornament on a little table top tree.

The purpose of the Jesse Tree is to look at Jewish history from creation up until the birth of Christ. There is a corresponding ornament for each passage. For example, today's passage was on Abraham offering Isaac as a sacrifice and God providing a ram in his place. The picture is ram.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to make ornaments to go with the readings, but for now I've laminated the pictures which the children hang on the tree.

It's been a wonderful way to look at history and to celebrate Christ's birth.