Healthy Snacking

Photobucket

I've been trying to provide healthy snacks for the kids when they get home from school. Stephen is taking thyroid medicine because of a sluggish thyroid. He has no energy and is very lethargic. Emily has major food allergies and will stop breathing with the wrong foods. Nathan, obviously, has a slew of health issues which includes kidney problems.

If I let them choose all three of them will pick unhealthy choices for snacks. Usually what they will choose are things that are heavy in carbohydrates and sugar. So I've taken charge of snack time the past week and tried to come up with some healthy, but appealing choices.

One thing I've noticed with my children is that it's all about the presentation. If I present the snack in a way that is appealing to the eye, they get very excited. I think it makes them feel like they are getting something special and also that they are important. I know it sounds silly, but it is a way for me to show them my love.

I'm always trying to get them to drink lots of water. I don't buy soft drinks or expensive juices. They get a glass of juice in the morning and usually the boys will have a glass of milk during the day. The rest of the time they must drink water. They will drink it but they are not crazy about it.

However, one simple little thing that I've done that seems to work well is adding ice cubes and a lemon slice!

Photobucket

When they get home from school I've had the table set for their snack and everything laid out for them. Stephen has eaten more fruits and vegetable this week than he has in a long time!

We've had things like celery and soynut butter (no peanut butter here because of the allergies).

Photobucket

Homemade salsa and guacamole and whole grain tortilla chips.

Photobucket

Sliced pears drizzled with lime juice.

Photobucket

Some other choices are cheese and crackers, fruit smoothies, homemade granola bars, celery and carrot sticks with ranch dressing, and homemade hot pockets.

A side benefit is because they are getting a healthier choice, it stays with them longer. So I don't have to make dinner so early which again, cuts back on the snacking after dinner.

Comments

  1. Oooh, can I come home with the children and eat their snacks please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm....they all look yummy to me! We try not to keep any chips, soda, or candies at our house. They drink a lot of water and nibble on fruit, veggies & crackers.
    Thanks for sharing the snack ideas!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, Terri. It's all in the appearance and presentation. Your snacks look and sound great. I'm with Elizabeth....can I come too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terri ~

    I agree ~ everything looks yummy! You are doing a such a good job at making everything look so wonderful and being nutritious too!

    You are such a blessing to your family!

    Sunday blessings to you!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good idea. My children always eat healthier snacks when I take the time to prepare the snacks for them. Unfortunately, I am a little lazy about it and often just let them get their own. I don't keep anything really unhealthy in the house, but they just munch instead of eating something nutritious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live