I Love My Teens

I realize that I haven't had many pictures of the boys the past few months, so I spent some time taking pictures of them the other day. Their personalities are reflected in these photos.

Nathan is such a happy kid.
Photobucket

He has so many problems (learning, physical, social, neurological) and yet, for the most part, he is upbeat and positive. One of the cafeteria workers at school asked him why he was always smiling and he told her, "Because I feel happy all the time!"

It's true too. In many ways, he has a pretty simple view of life. A lot of this has to do with his neurological disabilities, but in many ways it's refreshing. He fills in on the drums at church when our regular drummer is gone and on Sunday, our worship leader asked him to pray. His prayer was that they would do their best and have fun! Shouldn't we all have that attitude about our work and ministry? Nathan also runs the powerpoint during our morning services.

Photobucket

He feels things intensely, but also forgives very easily. He is extremely trusting and this often is the cause of his pain. When people aren't kind and don't treat each him with respect, it is hard for him to understand the reason they are like that.

I know God has a plan for Nathan and we are trusting Him to work out all these things for Nathan's good.

Photobucket

Stephen is much more serious than Nathan. He has a neat sense of humor, but is pretty low key and laid back. He hates getting his picture taken (as you can see)! He doesn't like any attention on himself.

In many ways, he has the same exact personality as Dan. He is definitely a peacemaker and will more often than not, give in to someone else rather than assert himself. He is friendly, outgoing and has many friends, but is also unsure of himself.

He struggles with school. He is actually very bright and picks things up quickly, but he has a very hard time staying focused and rushes through things. He does not do well on tests at all. His teachers love him though because he has such a great personality.

Photobucket

Stephen plays guitar on our worship team and is actually getting very good. He also records the sermons on Sundays and has done the devotional for our monthly men's breakfast a few times. I can't wait to see what the Lord is going to do with Stephen!

Photobucket

Both boys are so different, and yet I love them both. They are such a mix of both Dan and me and it is interesting to see them growing into men. Of course, it requires me to interact with them a lot differently. At times, I forget and revert back to my old ways which causes some sparks to fly. They are both so forgiving though. They tell me numerous times a day that they love me which makes me feel good because sometimes I feel like the worst mother!

As time goes by, our relationship is settling more into an adult to adult role rather than a mother-child role. No matter what, I love my teenagers!

Comments

  1. What a blessed mother you are!

    I understand when you say you are having to learn how to deal more adult to adult with them.... I struggle with that to with my Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing your children are. Isn't it funny how they have the same parents, yet they come out so different. ;0) Thanks for sharing a little about your sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to hear about your love for your teens when so many say I just want to get through the teen years. These years can be some of the greatest, they don't have to be full of rebellion and angst. Thanks for sharing, I have a Stephen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an interesting journey through the different ages of children. They change, and so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pictures of the children and your dialog and analysis of their personalities and traits.

    It is great to see that you have such a good relationship to your children. Keep that...it is so important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live