Friday, March 12, 2010
Molasses Oat Bran Cookies
I've been trying to experiment with different types of grains lately and bought some oat bran. I found a recipe for oat bran cookies with molasses and they were delicious.
Molasses Oat Bran Cookies Recipe
* 1 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup butter
* 1 large egg or 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
* 1/2 cup oat bran or wheat bran
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon clove
* 1/4 cup sugar
1. In a large bowl, mix the oil, egg, 1 cup sugar and molasses and mix very well.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, bran, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves.
3. Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well-blended.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (This is for easier handling).
5. Heat oven to 375°F.
6. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment.
7. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the 1/4 cup sugar.
8. Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets and flatten the cookies with the bottom of a drinking glass, dipped in sugar.
9. Bake at 375°F for 7-10 minutes until cookies are set and tops are crackle-y.
10. Let cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.