Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Best Rhubarb Cobbler
This is the best rhubarb cobbler recipe I ever found. In fact, it's so good that I decided to share.
Edited to add: I took it to an after funeral luncheon today and came back with an empty dish. People kept coming up to the table and saying, "So and so said I have to get some of this cobbler." So I think that says it all! :-)
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar and melted butter. Mix well. Press half of the mixture into a greased (important point) 8 x 8 baking pan for the crust.
3. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, cornstarch and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until very thick and transparent, stirring constantly, about 4-6 minutes. Add the rhubarb, stir and then spread over the crust.
4. Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal mixture over the top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.