Homemade Ice Cream

Photobucket

I purchased a Rival ice cream maker recently and have started making my own ice cream. Ice cream is so expensive and after figuring it out, discovered that I can make it for a lot less and I also know exactly what is going into it.

Here is my basic recipe which makes 5 quarts:

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla
5 cups whipping cream

Scald the milk in a large pot. Remove from the heat and add the sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Then freeze according to the directions on your ice cream maker.

Photobucket

If I want different flavors, I just add some different ingredients.

Cookies & Cream - halfway through the freezing method on the ice cream maker, add 30 crushed oreo cookies.

Mint chocolate chip - Add 10 drops peppermint oil to the initial mixture before refrigerating. Halfway through the freezing method add 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Strawberry Ice Cream - I added 1 cup of strawberry freezer jam to the initial mixture and stirred until dissolved.

Coffee Ice Cream - Increase the whipping cream by 1 cup and add 1/2 cup coffee to the initial mixture.

That's all I have made so far, but you can experiment with different flavors. It is delicious!

Comments

  1. YUM!
    We have the same ice cream maker...thank you for sharing your recipes, we will be giving them a try!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious. Sadly I dont have an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll vouch for Terri's Ice Cream. It is as good as any store bought ice cream that I have ever tasted! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live