Being a Helpmeet

Dan & I have been married for 22 years and one of the things I've grown in through the years is viewing myself as his helpmeet. I'm afraid that the beginning of our marriage wasn't always the best Biblical example of a husband and wife relationship. In other words, I ran the show! I am a take charge type person and Dan has a very laid back personality. That didn't always make for the best marital relationship.

Twenty-two years later, I'm still a take charge person and he is still laid back. The difference is that I've learned to reign it in and get his opinion and try to actually take it! He has learned to step up and lead. I still have a tendency to run the show, but I've gotten a whole lot better!

Last week we ran into a mini-crisis. We found out that as of the end of December our financial situation will change substantially and Dan is going to need to find a part-time job because the church will not be able to pay him as a full-time pastor. In fact, he was going to have to find a full-time job which was going to greatly reduce his ministry.

However, the Lord dropped a wonderful opportunity onto our laps! I was at the middle school for 6th grade orientation when an acquaintance came up to me and told me about an opening for a teacher's aide in a Kindergarten class. After talking it over with Dan and following his leading, I decided to apply for it.

It will provide medical benefits and a small salary, which will free Dan up to work part-time and yet, still pastor the church part-time. I will also be able to be home when the children are home. I went on an interview on Friday and found out this afternoon that I got the job!

I'm actually excited about this opportunity. I love to teach and I love Kindergartners. They actually still love you at this age! ;-)

I'm learning that being a helpmeet sometimes means helping out financially. I love staying home. I love being able to do all the many things I do. However, the greater need right now is helping take some of the financial burden off my husband.

I still will be able to do most of the many things I do. One positive is that I will be interacting with the community on a daily basis. I'm glad that I can help my husband in this situation.

I start on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to it. I did feel a bit embarrassed about posting this because just last week, I shared about my ideas for a tutoring center next door. However, the door opened and we decided to take this while we have it. I'm still going to use the building for 3D Girls so it's all good! :-)

Comments

  1. What a blessing to your family! I will be praying for you all.

    Our church helps to send out pastors to small communities and it is not always easy for them to make ends meet on a pastor's salary.

    I know at times it might be tough, but know that you are blessing those around you in your community!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful Terri! I love how God opens doors of opportunity like that! Your willingness to help your husband in every way possible has opened this door into a job that you will enjoy!! Isn't it funny how we have both found ourselves in the same situation right now?!

    May God bless you as you continue to be a blessing to your family, and now these little ones too.

    Love, Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I prayed for you Terri and looked what happened - don't you love the way the Lord keeps us on our toes - lol!! I was praying for something entirely different - lol!!!!!! (though I did say thank you prayers for your generous landlord so that's ok)

    I shall pray heaps for you - you will be so good at this new job - and maybe God has had you prepare that building but for some other purpose?????

    Much love.

    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI TERRI...
    WE SURE DO SERVE A GREAT GOD WHO KNOWS JUST WHAT WE NEED WHEN WE NEED IT..
    GOD BLESS YOU BOTH...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray that God will continue to work out all of the details of your finances in these changes. You two are a wonderful team!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I think it's wonderful that you can help out financially doing something you love! I'm sure it lifts a huge burden from your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Terri! I think that you will fit into that situation very well and may even turn into something even better. God is so good...all the time!! It is amazing how He works in the most perfect way.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi terri,
    I am with you. Dave is like Dan and I am like you. I am learning to tone it down too. That is wonderful about the new job. God is good.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Terri! I prayed for this job for you after you told me about the interview, and I am so very happy to hear that you got it. Have a great time with the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a wise woman, Terri! I FULLY believe in women staying home, but if I had to go to work to help my husband I would do so in a heartbeat. God sends good things, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terri, you have blessed me with this post. I pray that you will love your job and be excited every day to be there!
    God is so good and all-knowing!
    He provides what we need, in His time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.