Harvest Tally











I love the Urban Homestead blog and if you've never looked at their blog, you really should check it out. It's amazing to me how much produce is grown in the middle of a city on less than 1/2 acre lot.

They are having a challenge to keep track of how much produce you have harvested and stored away. I thought I would participate in this one since it would be interesting to figure out what I actually am getting out of my garden. I know that I need to find a way to be more efficient with my use of space because it seems to me that I have a lot of garden space and not much to show for it!

I improve a bit each year and I'm hoping that eventually I will get much better. Here is what I've put up so far this year:

8 1/2 pints of spiced plum jam
12 pints of bread and butter pickles
9 quarts of dill pickles
10 lbs. of dehydrated summer squash
1 lb. of dehydrated green beans (we've eaten the rest as they ripen)
7 pints of sauerkraut
8 quarts of tomato sauce
16 cups of frozen strawberries
7 pints of cucumber relish
3 pints of salsa

This doesn't include the countless vegetables that we've eaten straight from the garden: lettuce, spinach, chard, cucumbers, cabbage (green & red), green beans, eggplant, peppers.

I probably should keep better track. I think I'll keep the tally on my sidebar so I can keep the totals up to date.

Comments

  1. Don't you love this time of year even if it is a lot of work? So rewarding I think.. I was wondering what you do with your summer squash.. It sounds interesting...
    Love your blog...
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye,

    This is the first time I've ever used the dehydrator for squash. I'm planning on using them for soups and stews since I can just throw in a handful while they cook and it will rehydrate the squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a prolific garden you have! I love going to my freezer in Winter and finding something that we have grown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have been busy, haven't you. I don't know how you get all that canning done and then have time left over to sew something. You are amazing!

    I loved how you tied in the steps in the canning process along with the positive and negative things that can happen to the different areas of our life and how to apply it that you posted a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful harvest!

    Our garden is not doing well this year, so I am not getting as much canning done as I normally would do!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.