Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Harvest Tally











I love the Urban Homestead blog and if you've never looked at their blog, you really should check it out. It's amazing to me how much produce is grown in the middle of a city on less than 1/2 acre lot.

They are having a challenge to keep track of how much produce you have harvested and stored away. I thought I would participate in this one since it would be interesting to figure out what I actually am getting out of my garden. I know that I need to find a way to be more efficient with my use of space because it seems to me that I have a lot of garden space and not much to show for it!

I improve a bit each year and I'm hoping that eventually I will get much better. Here is what I've put up so far this year:

8 1/2 pints of spiced plum jam
12 pints of bread and butter pickles
9 quarts of dill pickles
10 lbs. of dehydrated summer squash
1 lb. of dehydrated green beans (we've eaten the rest as they ripen)
7 pints of sauerkraut
8 quarts of tomato sauce
16 cups of frozen strawberries
7 pints of cucumber relish
3 pints of salsa

This doesn't include the countless vegetables that we've eaten straight from the garden: lettuce, spinach, chard, cucumbers, cabbage (green & red), green beans, eggplant, peppers.

I probably should keep better track. I think I'll keep the tally on my sidebar so I can keep the totals up to date.