Christmas Meringues

Photobucket

Christmas Meringues

Do not double this recipe. You will need to make one batch at a time, washing the bowl/beaters between each batch.

Ingredients
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. white sugar
6 ounces of chocolate chips
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy (I used a coffee grinder to grind the candy up into almost powder and it took 14 round peppermint candies to make 1/2 cup of powder)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Beat egg whites until frothy.

3. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until stiff and peaks form. (It's important that the egg whites are stiff)

4. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly.

5. Fold in chocolate chips, candy, and vanilla.

6. Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

7. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until the cookies look baked. Do not brown. (This is the tricky part so you'll have to really watch them until you get the hang of it. As you can see from the picture, I'm still working on that)!

8. Remove from paper when cool. They freeze well.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Oh, Yum! I didn't know you could freeze meringues. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, lovely! This is one I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, something I could eat too as there is no gluten! Yippee! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. bear and i tried to make these on Thanksgiving but something went wrong and the whites never made the stiff peaks. He was very frustrated. I'm not sure what went wrong. We'll try again though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I know the cream of tartar and salt are important. I used an electric handheld mixer with beaters and it takes a good five minutes or so to thicken up. Once you get peaks start adding the sugar and the mixture stiffens up a lot more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live