Thursday, December 2, 2010
Do not double this recipe. You will need to make one batch at a time, washing the bowl/beaters between each batch.
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. white sugar
6 ounces of chocolate chips
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy (I used a coffee grinder to grind the candy up into almost powder and it took 14 round peppermint candies to make 1/2 cup of powder)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy.
3. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until stiff and peaks form. (It's important that the egg whites are stiff)
4. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly.
5. Fold in chocolate chips, candy, and vanilla.
6. Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until the cookies look baked. Do not brown. (This is the tricky part so you'll have to really watch them until you get the hang of it. As you can see from the picture, I'm still working on that)!
8. Remove from paper when cool. They freeze well.