Gingerbread House

I have a confession. I love gingerbread houses. I love looking at the masterpieces everyone makes and dreaming of making my own creation. I've always been especially impressed with those who start from scratch and make theirs from the ground up, by making and baking the gingerbread.

However, I have one problem. I am HORRIBLE at decorating anything edible. Give me some paper or a sewing machine or a crochet hook and I do a good job. However, that creative streak did not carry over into the cake/cookie decorating area. Anything that has to do with frosting and I feel like an octopus with 15 tentacles!

Yet, year after year, I purchase the kits in the hope that somehow over the year I have magically turned into Martha Stewart!

Yesterday was a day where I was going to be home so I pulled out the dreaded kit. Dan was working, Nathan was at the firehouse so I set Stephen & Emily to work.

Photobucket

We had the same problem as in previous years. Once the roof was in place, it immediately started sliding off. However, we got it set again and waited about 20 minutes before trying to decorate the rest.

Photobucket

It's sad at how pitiful it turned out. I looked at it and then burst out laughing. Stephen said it looked like a house in a shanty town that got hit by a blizzard.

Photobucket

However, they had fun doing it. They kept cramming candy in their mouths when they thought I wasn't looking. Emily loved doing it so I guess that was the main goal of the thing.

Martha Stewart I will never be, but I'll keep trying year after year!

Photobucket

I did throw together some cinnamon pinwheels which look pretty as well as tasting delicious, so I redeemed myself somewhat. ;-)

Photobucket

Comments

  1. I like it! It's more real being a little "rustic"! :)

    PS. You will never see posts on my blog involving cakes/icing either. ;) Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely!!!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think your gingerbread house is adorable!! We love decorating them...it's become a tradition. We have a friend who does make MANY of these from scratch each year so we just have to do the decorating.We will not be getting together this year so..... my daughter wants to invite a few friends over to decorate....I'm on the lookout for a good (easy) recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, your photography in this post is very good. I've been watching as you steadily make progress with your camera. Great job!

    Also, it sounds like the kids did the decorating, so don't be too hard on yourself. And if everyone had fun, it was a successful endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like Emily and Stephen had fun putting their gingerbread house together and its all about having fun so rather or not it looks good..they enjoyed themselves. Your cookies look yummy! Wish I were there to try them out. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.