Goals for the New Year

I'm not big into resolutions because I find that they last about as long as it takes me to type them. However, each year I sit down and work on some goals for the upcoming year. I definitely like the adage, "If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time!" So, I do feel like it helps me to have something to aim for.

I try to base the goals around the priorities that I feel the Lord has given me. That would include my relationship with Him, my husband and family, personal and ministry goals.

I looked back on my goals from this past year and although I did accomplish a few of them, I need to do better. I think one way that will happen is to re-evaluate each month how I am doing.

Here are my goals for the coming year. Some of them are repeats because I didn't meet them and want to try again. I also didn't post all of them, because some of them are personal and are between me and the Lord.

Spiritual Goals
♥ Have consistent quiet time with the Lord
♥ Read through the Bible
♥ Write devotionals for my family for our Advent Jesse Tree next Christmas. I want to write something for older children/teens as the one I have is for younger children.

Marriage Relationship Goals
♥ Spend one evening a week on a date with dh (right now it's been Thursday nights)
♥ Ask dh each day what I can do to help him out.
♥ Make a point of telling dh each day of something that I appreciate about him. I want to do a better job of pointing out what he does right, rather than what he is doing wrong!

Relationship with Children
♥ Work on remaining calm when dealing with problems.
♥ Work on communicating with the boys as adults and less like they are still little boys and ordering them around.
♥ Consistent family devotions
♥ Take Emily out for one on one time at least 2-3 times per month. She really seems to need this from me.

Health & Nutrition
♥ Lose 35 lbs. this year (HAH! This one definitely needs a do over!)
♥ Regular exercise - at least 4-5 times per week.
♥ Work on tweaking recipes to make them healthier

Household & Organizational Items
♥ Write out a menu each week and shop accordingly
♥ Make a shopping list before I go
♥ Use cash for shopping (I find it easier to stick to the budget when I have cash)
♥ Put together a household manual (I planned on doing this in 2010, but it never happened)
♥ Stick to a regular cleaning schedule
♥ Work on having cards ready at the beginning of each month for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. This way all I have to do is pop a stamp on and mail them so they are received on time.
♥ Work on Christmas gifts throughout the year so it doesn't sneak up on me again. It was definitely an adjustment working full-time, so I need to be ahead of the game.

Ministry Goals
♥ Reduce the amount of things that I'm doing in order to allow others to step up and minister
♥ Continue writing my Wednesday Words of Encouragement to the ladies at church
♥ Pray deliberately for the women in our church

Hopefully, by setting goals, I will be more productive and directed in the coming year.

Have a Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. These are great goals, and you're right if you aim for nothing, you'll hit it. There are several on your list that mirror mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing your goals Terri! Almost all of them are things I need to work on too! I, too, am not using the word resolution. Goals sounds much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so motivated! I need to sit down with my old diary too. Thanks for this reminder Terri. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you Terri...I think you should also build in a goal of 'Time for Terri' if you can1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terri,
    I have so enjoyed reading your goals for 2011. I am working on mine too. I so ready to put 2010 to bed. It was a hard year.
    Be sure to make some Terri time too.:)
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live