Tightening the Purse Strings

I've always been frugal and worked hard to make ends meet since we lived on one income for the past 10 years. Now that I'm back to work, I'm still working hard at being frugal. There are a few reasons for this.

1. I think it's important to be a good steward of our money and not throwing it away.

2. Starting next week, 60% of my paycheck will be going to pay for medical benefits.

3. Starting January 1st, Dan is losing over 1/2 of his income.

4. Starting February 1st, our rent is increasing.

I'm determined to make this work so I need to kick things up a notch and watch our pennies. Here are some of the things I've done this past week to help work at saving money. Some of them are things I've shared before and others are new.

* Cut my dryer sheets in half and only use 1/2 per load.

* Make my own laundry soap.

* A few months ago, I used canned pineapple for something and didn't need the juice. I poured it into a tupperware container and put it in the freezer. On Saturday, I pulled it out and used it for a sweet and sour dish I was making.

* I make sure I use up our leftovers.

* I throw the heels of homemade bread in a freezer bag and freeze it until I need bread crumbs. Then I toast it and run it through the food processor.

* 3 leftover slices of bacon went into the freezer for a time when I need crumbled bacon for a dish.

* I put dinner in the crockpot most days to save on being impulsive and going out to eat when I'm tired at the end of the day.

* I use vinegar & water to clean windows and mirrors.

* I wash out my baggies unless there is raw meat in them.

* I'm making stockings for the children in my class and it's costing me approximately $2.00 because I waited until after Christmas last year to purchase material.

* We are planning on a New Year's Eve party again this year and last year in January I bought Christmas styrofoam plates and cups at $.50 for a package of 50.

* I turn the heat down when we leave the house.

* I hang out clothes when possible, even in the colder months.

* The turkey carcass went into the freezer for soup at a later date.

* When I boil a chicken for something I save the broth and freeze it for other recipes.

* I make my own seasoning mixes (taco, sloppy joe, etc.)

* I buy extra gallons of milk when they are on sale and pour off a cup of milk and then put the container in the freezer.

There are so many other ways, but these are just some of the ways I'm trying to make ends meet.

Comments

  1. Bravo to you for being so creative and WILLING to tighten your purse strings. I know you are a real blessing to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly a good steward of your family's resources! I try to do similar measures.

    I've started making all my own bread because $5 a loaf is obscene. I also plan meals during the week to use up leftovers. We also have only one large animal protein (bought on sale) meal a week, and the rest covers all meals for the rest of the week. This week was a meatloaf. It will turn into sandwiches, stuffed peppers and pasta sauce later in the week.

    Keep it up, Terri - you are an inspiring woman! You make we want to do better....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent tips & ideas Terri!
    I always think of being frugal as a challange to tackle...how can I make something myself, re-use an item, or make something stretch farther. God always provides for our needs...we just have to be creative with it! :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow losing half of his income and 60% to medical, really does hit the pocket hard! I understand your need for stretching the dollar, we too have been trying to not be wasteful. For the first time ever I made turkey stock woth the turkey carcass and bits, I got almost 4 quarts!!! Been trying my hand at from scratch bread, and this yrs Christmas gifts to our families will be homemade. We too try to use up all our left overs and not eat out as much! Thank oyu Terri for the idea's I really appreciate them! I also will be praying God will abundantly Bless your household!! Take care!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a true Proverbs 31 woman. Bravo Terri and thank you for passing on all your frugal tips to us all. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Terri, you do so many of the things that we do here, and it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do your husband proud, Terri. You are truly a Proverbs 31 woman and a blessing to your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.