Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Grocery Budget

Prices have been going up so much lately and it's been difficult to keep my grocery budget under control. One store that I did most of my grocery shopping at was Aldi. They are really the cheapest around, but the nearest one is 35 miles away.

Since gas prices have also gone through the roof, we have decided to start shopping at the local store that is 2 miles up the road.

One way that I've tried to manage the budget is to take out cash and use that. The other day I took $75 cash out and decided to see what I could get for the week with that.

Here is what I came home with:

2 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 gallon orange juice
10 bags of frozen veggies (all kinds)
2 boxes of cereal
2 boxes of Sazon seasoning
1 bag of pretzels
3 cans of chunk white tuna
1 - 5 lb. package of pork sirloin
2 packages of breakfast sausage
1 - 12 oz. package of all natural bacon
1 package of sliced smoked turkey
1 whole chicken
2 lbs. onion
1 fennel bulb
3 lbs. Macintosh apples
3 lbs. banans
3 bunches of leeks
1 cucumber
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 - 8 oz. package of white mushrooms
3 lbs. yams

On top of this I earned enough card points to save $.10 per gallon of gas at participating stations. I'm hoping that I can keep the food budget to $75 per week doing it this way.