Grocery Budget

Prices have been going up so much lately and it's been difficult to keep my grocery budget under control. One store that I did most of my grocery shopping at was Aldi. They are really the cheapest around, but the nearest one is 35 miles away.

Since gas prices have also gone through the roof, we have decided to start shopping at the local store that is 2 miles up the road.

One way that I've tried to manage the budget is to take out cash and use that. The other day I took $75 cash out and decided to see what I could get for the week with that.

Here is what I came home with:

2 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 gallon orange juice
10 bags of frozen veggies (all kinds)
2 boxes of cereal
2 boxes of Sazon seasoning
1 bag of pretzels
3 cans of chunk white tuna
1 - 5 lb. package of pork sirloin
2 packages of breakfast sausage
1 - 12 oz. package of all natural bacon
1 package of sliced smoked turkey
1 whole chicken
2 lbs. onion
1 fennel bulb
3 lbs. Macintosh apples
3 lbs. banans
3 bunches of leeks
1 cucumber
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 - 8 oz. package of white mushrooms
3 lbs. yams

On top of this I earned enough card points to save $.10 per gallon of gas at participating stations. I'm hoping that I can keep the food budget to $75 per week doing it this way.

Comments

  1. Hi Terri - $75 is £46.50 - We could never get the amount of food you got over here for that - so well done. I had to pay 80p yesterday for a small tin of tuna :)Some of the other brands were well over £1. My usual bill was maybe £15 higher yesterday than in previous weeks for similar foodstuffs - crazy isn't it?
    I think you did really well.
    How are you feeling?
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job stretching your grocery budget. Our parents and grandparents had the right idea when they used to "run errands" one day a week and plan their stops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great Terri, I find I spend about 125 to 150 every couple of weeks, with getting just a few things in between weeks, usually another 30.00. I buy snacks for my daycare in my shopping as well and buy a few can goods for the stock pantry. You are very good with a budget, I am tryig to learn to do one. Have a great day!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Bills in France are shooting up every week, grapefruit suddenly jumped from 40cts to 70 cts this week. It is hard to keep to a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, Terry! My kids are all out of the house now but I find myself wondering how in the world parents can afford to feed and clothe their kids in these times. Every week I promise myself that I am going to try to run errands one day a week and plan my stops but I am having a hard time with that one. Something always comes up. :-(

    I hope you are feeling better. Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did very well Terri! I would love to see the menu that goes along with this list. ;-)
    We have recently decided we needed to cut back our grocery budget AGAIN and now I am looking at hopefully being able to feed our family of 4 on around $50 to $60 a week. When I see you feed your family of 5 on $75 it truly gives me inspiration and encouragement. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not know why I do not ask more from our gracious Lord. It seems when the budget gets tight I ask the Lord for a sale price on certain items that I need to buy. The Lord always come through. I go and see a special that was put on the items I need that was not in the regular adds.
    Why is it we do not do this more often. Going to our Father, expecting Him to give us what we need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live