Frugal Purchase

When I was grocery shopping the other day, a local store had whole chickens on sale for $.49 per lb. which was a great price! I ended up buying four of them.

Last night, I roasted one of them and we had roast chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, steamed green beans from the garden.

Today, I cut all the meat off the bone and made a large pot of chicken soup with the leftover gravy, green beans, potatoes, carrots, corn, celery, onions, garlic, and herbs from my garden.

I took the bones and a freezer bag full of vegetable scraps that I had been saving and made 2 quarts of stock for the freezer.

So one chicken made 2 full meals and enough stock to use in two other dishes.

Not bad for $2.37!

Comments

  1. I love it when you get so many meals out of a chicken!! We eat alot of chicken in our house because its inexpensive and goes a long way!! Great frugalness!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken goes a long way . It's one of the best frugal meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome deal! I took a turkey out of the freezer to roast on Saturday...we should be able to get a weeks worth of meals from it! :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did good!!! Whole chickens are one of the best deals in meat. I have one thawing in the fridge right now that I'm going to make chicken pot pie from.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.