Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Father

Photobucket

This is a picture I have of my dad from two years ago at a barbecue we hosted. That actually was the last time I saw him. As the week has gone on and I've had more time to reflect I've been able to be a bit more objective and calm.

I talked to his wife last night and it turned out he went out to mow someone's lawn and never came home. The cause of death was a heart attack. He was 73 years old and had remained active way beyond retirement. My dad didn't want a funeral or memorial service and has been cremated.

However, today the family will be getting together for a picnic. I'll see cousins, aunts and uncles that I haven't seen in years. I'll get to see my sister whom I haven't seen since February. I'm looking forward to catching up with them all.

My dad will be remembered today.