Thursday, October 13, 2011

Making Dinner Special

Photobucket

I have an embarrassing confession to make. For years, while Dan & the children sat at the table to eat dinner, I would sit in the other room and watch television. I was like the stereotypical husband. Talk about your role reversal. It was a form of escape from my day.

It's a bit humbling to admit that I had this bad habit. In my heart I really wanted to change. I wanted to make new habits with my family so I've worked hard at changing this. I still have to fight down the temptation to do this, especially when I've had a rough day. But I've come a long way.

Now, that I've thoroughly shocked you all and you'll never read my blog again :-), let me tell you some of the things I've done to make meal time special over the past few years.

♥ I set the table with my best china. I don't save it for special occasions. I try to make each dinner a celebration of our family.

♥ I use cloth napkins. I have a number of sets of them so I while we use paper napkins for breakfast and lunch, it's cloth ones for dinner.

♥ I pull out the fancy wine glasses. We don't drink alcohol but I do have a set of wine glasses. They seem to add to fit the festive atmosphere.

♥ I put all the food in serving dishes on the table. I try not to serve straight from the pots. Now, there is nothing wrong with doing this, but I really want to make dinner a special memory for my family.

♥ Candles - I try to light candles to make the meal special. Of course, now that it's getting dark early it works much nicer.

♥ Family devotions. At the end of each meal, we do a short devotional as a family. Right now we are using, The Daily Bread. The passages are short, yet meaningful.

We've come a long way as a family. I'm not perfect and make many mistakes. I found like any bad habit, it takes about 30-60 days of consistently doing it to form a new habit.

I'm coming back to edit this and say that I find if I set the table at some point in the afternoon, it helps tremendously. If I wait until the last minute, then I find it more difficult to want to do it.

After a few years of practicing a new habit, I've worked on making dinner time a special time for our family.