Potato Dough

I have a great recipe for potato dough and it makes the most delicious baked goods. I thought I'd share it here. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make a number of items from the same dough.

The only problem I had was that it was too much dough for my kitchen aid mixer so I had to divide it before I put in the final flour.

Here is the recipe:

2 1/2 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 quart scalded milk
2 cups mashed potatoes (no milk added)
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
6 cups flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. salt
11-12 cups additional flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Scald the milk and in a large mixing bowl add milk, potatoes, margarine, butter, and sugar. Cool to lukewarm and add yeast mixture and 6 cups of flour.

Let stand until mixture foams up (about 20 minutes). Add eggs and salt.

(This is where I had to divide the mixture because there was no way it was going to all fit in my mixer.) I have cut the recipe in half before and that worked well.

Add additional flour until a soft dough is formed. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.

From this dough, I made the following:

3 dozen dinner rolls.

Shape dough into balls and place in a greased cake pan. Brush the top with melted butter and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Photobucket

3 dozen cinnamon sugar doughnut holes.

Roll dough into 2 inch balls and deep fry. Drain on paper towels and then roll in cinnamon sugar.

Photobucket

1 dozen cinnamon rolls.

Roll a piece of dough to about 18x9". Spread with softened or melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar over the dough and then sprinkle a combination of cinnamon sugar. Roll up the dough like a jelly roll. Cut into 1 1/2" chunks and place on greased cookie sheet. Cover and let double in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until browned.

Photobucket

Obviously, you can make any combination that you would like. This dough can be refrigerated for a few days so you can use it as you like.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hi Terri,
    Everything looks so yummy. You have been a busy little bee.
    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything here looks good enough to eat. I just had breakfast but your making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm....you sure are keeping busy baking! Your house must smell delicious!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so good, thank you for sharing this recipe with us.
    Lots of blessings, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a delicious and versatile recipe! Thank you!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live