Crafty Things & Etsy Question

I was able to do quite a bit of sewing this week which always makes me happy! I'm continuing to plug away at building up a stock of items for my Etsy shop as well as for two upcoming craft fairs I'm participating in.

I do have a question about Etsy. It's a little discouraging for me. I've had over 200 views but not one item has sold which makes me start to doubt myself. Some questions I start asking is "Am I overcharging?" "Is the quality not that good?" "Am I not advertising well?"

As far as the overcharging goes, if material for an apron costs me anywhere from $7-$10 and I'm charging $20-$25 per adult apron, depending on the type, I'm hardly making anything if you could the time it takes to make the item. So I'm not sure how much lower I can go. Are any of you having luck selling anything over there?

Some of the problem I can see with Etsy is that I know that I wouldn't pay what many people charge for things when I can make it myself. So I'm not sure if the majority of users on there are other women who are just as creative!

To be honest, I'm getting ready to just forget the whole thing and just go back to making gifts for people. It's better for my ego! ;-)

Here are the latest items:

2 children's aprons.
































Two adult aprons.





Comments

  1. I'm sure it takes time for people to get to know your site, Terri. Dont give it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri. I agree with Elizabeth. Don't throw in the towel yet. Your aprons are beautiful and don't doubt yourself.

    Love, Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah the pain and the pleasure of Etsy :)
    I have done some Etsy market research on your behalf, hope you don't mind. The news is good! Your aprons are very fairly priced AND much nicer than your competitors. So I think you have to advertise yourself a bit - when I had Etsy shops in the past I found that people got their name about by adding themselves as favourites on other shops. I always added items one at a time because you stay at the top of the list for a short time with each new entry. Brenda at Cozy Little House had a guest slot recently from a lady who had made a huge success of her Etsy shop - if you can't find it let me know and I'll find the exact link.
    DO NOT GIVE UP!
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience Terri, good things come to those who wait (and persevere) ;) It could take a good few weeks or even months before you make a sale. Once you have some feedback, others will be more confident to buy from you. Your products are very good, I'm sure things will pick up soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your aprons are beautiful Terri!
    I think that it just takes time on Etsy...I agree with Lynn that some type of advertising of it might work. Maybe a giveaway of an item with a link to your Etsy store and blog?!?
    A friend of ours did that recently - she had everyone go to her Etsy store and then come back to comment on her blog on what they liked best and then they were entered into the drawing.
    Hope that helps a bit. My daughter has been working on projects to start an Etsy shop too.

    Wishing you a great weekend!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some suggestion:

    - Print up a one-page flyer that advertises your etsy store and give it out to potential customers at the craft sale.

    - perhaps you could use photos of real people modelling your aprons.

    - everything that you sell at craft shows should have a card that directs the purchaser back to your etsy shop.

    - consider making aprons for differnt themes: certain color combos for sport teams, Easter/spring, 4th of July, masculine for Father's Day

    I'm sure that most businesses experience a slump in sales after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live