Family

Photobucket

On Saturday night our church had it's annual "Chilefest" to raise money for a missions trip in October to continue work on a girl's orphanage in the country of Chile. We had a dinner that included chili, then had a time of inspirational music. The music was eclectic and included contemporary praise and worship music, hymns, and older gospel songs. The participants included our worship band, the teens who sang, as well as some of our older folks.

Photobucket

It was a wonderful evening! I was reminded again of how much I love our church. I think we do a good job of putting the following verse into practice.

Galatians 6:10 ~ "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Photobucket

I know a lot of people struggle with the direction the American church has taken. Some of the complaints I've heard are that it has become about having a polished performance, listening to a "speech", and then leaving having not really interacted with anyone around you.

Photobucket

I know those churches exist. I've been in them. I've left the service feeling like I didn't talk to anyone, no one talked to me, no one knew I existed and that there has to be something more to church. I don't think it has to do with the fact that we are small because I've been in small churches that left me feeling the same way.

Photobucket

However, I can truly say that our current church is family. We love each other. We accept one another. No one has to be perfect or dressed a certain way or speak a certain way to come through the doors. It's a place where you can ask questions and get answers. We talk about what we are learning in God's word. The neat thing is that this isn't happening just in a formal "class" but in our casual conversations on any given Sunday morning or weekday.

Photobucket

It's a place where we laugh every single Sunday. It's a place where we cry and pray together. We fellowship together. The old are accepted and the young are accepted and everyone in between is accepted. Where you can be real.

Photobucket

Our church is not about a certain political party. In fact, we have people in our church who are polar opposites! Yet, they still love and care for one another even if they may disagree. They find their common ground and work from there. In fact, our church isn't about politics at all. It's about following Jesus. About reaching those who don't know Him. About loving others with the love of Christ and allowing the Holy Spirit to worry about what needs to be worked on in their lives.

A true family can be themselves, which means you have to take the good, the bad and the ugly. You don't say, "I'm walking away from this family because I don't like them." So just like with my biological family sometimes I want to hug them and other times I want to smack them! LOL

Photobucket

We love each other and accept each other, but we also encourage one another to grow up and grow beyond where we are. That means sometimes we challenge each other. Other times someone needs a hug and the knowledge that they are loved by their family of believers and more importantly, God loves them. That there is something better than what they are living at the moment.

Photobucket

To me our church is a holy experience. It is a taste of heaven. It is family.

This week I'm thankful for blessings #851-860

♥ Nathan got a good driving evaluation from an occupational therapist which brings him one step closer to his dream.

♥ Stephen passed his Economics final which means he will graduate in June (tough class for him).

♥ Wonderful weather.

♥ A very successful fundraiser on Saturday night.

♥ A terrific book I'm reading, reminding me of the importance of hospitality.

♥ Renewed excitement for Stephen's future plans.

♥ Other leaders in the church.

♥ Hearing my daughter pour out her heart in a song she wrote.

♥ Seeing her become a very poised young lady.

and finally....

♥ My family of believers.


Comments

  1. You paint a picture of a lovely welcoming church, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'd love to be a part of your church Terri! And well done to the kids for their achievements! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds a great church, Terri!
    I would love to have heard the 'chilli' concert, and your daughter's song especially.

    A church has to feel right, I agree.
    hug 2 u
    H. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post Terri!
    We use to go to a church that gave a very polished performance...it sounded good, but you did not feel like their hearts were in it. We too, felt empty when we left each Sunday.
    We now go to a small church. The music may not always be on key, but they pour their hearts into it, they preach straight from the Bible and they are like family to us! :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fortunate to have such a wonderful church, Terri. It sounds so welcoming and loving. What a wonderful thing to be excited about going to church and feeling loved by the members! I wish we lived closer to attend!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your church family, Terri and what they mean to you. It sounds like a wonderful place to be yourselve and grow in your knowledge of Jesus as He works in your collective hearts to make you into his image. Church (the people) can be such a blessing in ones life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An awesome tribute to your Church family.

    What book are you reading, Terri? One of my gifts is "hospitality" so maybe I would enjoy reading it to.

    Have a blessed week, Dear Friend.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbi, it's The Family Table and Hospitality Manual by Nancy Campbell. You can order it from her website which is at Above Rubies. http://aboverubiesbookstore.mybigcommerce.com/ I wasn't sure how good it would be but I actually am enjoying it and it has a lot of practical tips in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should add that while I don't agree with everything she discusses on her website, I did enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Terri. I am going to check it out.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.