A Look Back

I want to do a better job of sticking with my yearly goals in 2012. In order to do that, I want to re-evaluate them each month and look back over the previous month and see if I'm on track, where I'm doing well and what changes need to be made.

It's kind of embarrassing because I've actually forgotten about a few of them already and it's only been a month! Isn't it amazing at how quickly we can lose direction when we don't keep our goals in sight?

I'll list the goals and then in blue, see how I've done.

Spiritual Goals
► Make time each morning for reading my Bible and spending time in prayer. In order to do this, I'm going to keep the computer off until this is done each day.
► Keep a journal of how God is providing for us so I don't forget.

I'd have to say I need much improvement in this first one. The computer really draws me in very quickly. If I keep it off I usually can avoid it but if it's on, I want to check my emails, facebook, etc. So I need to work harder at this. Isn't it amazing how we often say we don't have time to spend with God, yet we ALWAYS find time for the computer or television or the phone or shopping or __________ (fill in the blank).

I actually forgot about the second goal and God certainly provided far more than I can even remember this past month. I'm going to go start the journal today and try to remember back through January and write down some things.


Photobucket

Marriage Relationship
► Work on saying 2-3 positive things to my husband each day.
► Have a date night 2 times per month.

Absolutely need to do better on the first one and the second goal has been achieved for January. In fact, I think we went out a grand total of 3-4 times this past month!!!

Photobucket

Health & Nutrition
► Lose 20 lbs. this year. I really must work on this as I haven't been feeling great lately and I know it's because I'm carrying around extra weight.
► Have an intentional exercise time at least 3 times per week.

UGH. That's where that goal stands. I exercised twice. BLECH!

Household Organization
► Make cards for 6 months at a time (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.)
► Keep food and household budget to $125 per week.
► Improve garden soil so it will produce better.
► Complete 1 major craft or sewing project per month.

Haven't done the cards at all.
Spent an average of $140 per week on food and household supplies so I have to do better.
Gardening isn't happening in January in the northeast! ;-)
Crafting has far exceeded my goal, especially with the opening of my Etsy shop - though I've had no sales from there. :-(


Photobucket

Ministry
► Invite at least 2 people/families over per month.

I did great with this one!

Photobucket

Personal
► Complete one writing project this year. I have a couple of things in the works and I would like to finish one of them this year.

I actually started working on this though to be honest, I only worked on it one day. I definitely have to be more disciplined if I actually want to accomplish it by the end of the year.

Photobucket

So there you have it. Some things are on track, some need improvement and some need to actually start!

Comments

  1. Dear Terri,
    I'm finding this too. Learning to be a Goal- Keeper(ha!) is somewhat difficult. I have already failed at some of mine e.g. remembering all the wider family's birthdays ( and that's only a little one:there's more...). I'm WELL familiar with the computer temptation,too.
    It was a brave and very honest step to share your thoughts on this. Its good! We can encourage each other on achievements, then.

    Your hubby looks a really nice man.
    And there, you see, he is enjoying a bowlful of something good and delicious that YOU made no doubt!!
    We are not perfect like Jesus, but I believe it pleases Him if we keep on trying, reviewing our good intentions.
    I keep having to do this even within the day!Its the Battle of Two Wills!!
    Interesting post, Terri
    Love to you,
    H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, Rome wasn't built in a day. You have lots of things on your list, Good luck with your "goals" in February. I know, God knows and everyone else knows your heart is in the right place.

    Love, Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, I just found this quote on FB. Thought I would share it with you,

    "The thing that is really hard, and really amazing at the same time, is giving up on trying to be perfect and beginning the work of becoming your true self."

    Have a good day. Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that quote, Debbi and thank you Hazelnut for your kind comments as well.

    I do hope though that I'm not sounding like I'm trying to be perfect. I'm not. And I also realize that I may not meet all my goals either. However, I'm of the mindset that if you aim for nothing you will hit it every time! :-) I want to live my life with purpose and do my very best for the Lord. I do know that I'll fail at times but I'm really not beating up on myself. Just trying to improve myself. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing that I noticed first of all is how honest you are about things and that is the first place to start. Good job on that. Now put your list on the fridge and you will be better at following through. Thank you for helping us to see that we need to make to do lists about our spiritual lives as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not meant, or thought about the 'trying to be perfection' thing, at all :) I've been visiting your blog over many seasons and I know you have far too much of a sense of humor to get ensnared in that trap, dear Terri!
    I hear what you say about aiming high.
    Now I had better,.. ahem..get off the computer! :D
    ((Blog- hug)) H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I crack myself up fairly regularly, Hazelnut! I figure if I don't laugh, I'll cry. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Terri, I never meant to make it sound like you were trying to be perfect. I just thought you were being down-to earth and honest. I appreciated your thoughts so much.

    I have many goals but I didn't even take the time to write them down on paper. So pat yourself on the back because you are one step ahead of me. HA! HA! HA!

    Love you, Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! Onward & upward!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live