Old Familiar Paths

Photobucket


Isaiah 43:16-21 ~

"This is what the LORD says—
he who made a way through the sea,
a path through the mighty waters,
who drew out the chariots and horses,
the army and reinforcements together,
and they lay there, never to rise again,
extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:

Photobucket

“Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?

Photobucket

I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland.

Photobucket

The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
the people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise"

Photobucket

It's easy to walk down old and familiar paths.  Ways of responding that have become second nature.  

Impatience.  Anger.  Irritation.  Raised voices.

Words that barb and scar.


Photobucket

Yet, I don't want to keep choosing the easy path.  Easy because it's familiar.  Easy because it gives me an instant rush of release, but leaves feelings of guilt, remorse and hurt.

The path I choose will also influence my children.  They are mirror images of their parents.  Often when I hear them talking to each other with the same irritation and annoyance I realize that my example hasn't shown them the new path I'm supposed to be on.

Photobucket

The path of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

BUT.....

With Christ there is also forgiveness.  There is a fresh start.  There is the ability to get back up in His strength and start over.

The new path will bring me refreshment in the wilderness.  It will nourish and provide rest.

And, unlike the old paths I walked in before, I can ask for forgiveness.

And it is freely given.

Given by my husband.  My children.  My Lord.

Photobucket

The new path is harder because it requires me to humble myself.  To choose the more difficult thing.  But ultimately, it is the path that leads to life and love and joy.

So I'm continuing to leave behind the old familiar path and walking on my new one.

Photobucket
This week I'm thankful for blessings #923-935.

♥ Windows open and a warm breeze blowing in.
♥ Walking and taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of creation.

♥ Crocuses, the first sign of Spring.

Photobucket

♥ A tasty blend of eggs, cheese, peppers and onions.
♥ Making a difference in young girls' lives.

♥ Emily, willing to give up her Saturday to help out with the fire department by face painting.
Photobucket

♥ Knowing for a moment that God's hand is on my children.
♥ The yeasty smell of bread baking.

♥ A successful craft fair.

Photobucket

♥ The perfect job for Stephen.
♥ Deep lines in my husband's face that shows his care and responsibility.

♥ Praying with dear friends for medical concerns.
Photobucket

and finally...

♥ Walking in new paths.


Photobucket



Comments

  1. Just BEAUTIFUL, Terri! Thanks for the Monday morning encouragement..
    Have a wonderful week.

    Love, Debbi

    P. S. Did Stephen get a job? I am praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Terri!
    Beautiful photographs too!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it can be very humbling to walk on the path that the Lord chooses for us. But His ways are always right and lead to right living and the peace, joy and thankfulness that our soul pants for. It also leads to everlasting life.

    Often we struggle because we want things our way and that gets us off the right path. Very nice post, Terri. I love the pictures which blend in so well with scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post Terri and contains so much truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Terri, and so true. That's a passage I love and you have illustrated it beautifully and powerfully. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.