Family Celebrations

Celebrations.

I have tried really hard to develop celebrations with my children that center around different holidays, birthdays and other special events.  Certain things were easier when they were little but now they are teens and young adults I still think it's important to do that.  Making special times with them now will help them as adults to do this with their own families.

One thing that we've started doing on Good Friday is having a shabbat meal with friends.  It was a way to stop in the busyness of the weekend and remember what Christ has done for us and the meaning of his death.

I started out by setting the table with my nicest dishes and decorating it to look pretty.

Photobucket

Both families came prepared to say a blessing over each person in our families.  It was neat to see the kids putting a lot of thought into what they had to say and all three of them typed theirs up.  In fact, something that was really special to me was Nathan telling me earlier in the day that he didn't want my help.  He has multiple learning disabilities which include writing at about a 1st grade level.  Yet, worked hard at what he wanted to say and spent a long time typing it up. He told me, "I want to do this myself."  And his blessings were beautiful.

Everyone came dressed in their finest.

Photobucket

Dan read scripture and we took communion together and read a blessing over the cup and bread.  Then we sang the benediction before we began a leisurely meal.

Photobucket

My children eat pretty much anything but because we had another family with us, I made foods that I knew they would like.  We had matzo ball soup, challah bread with cinnamon butter, roast turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy (I won't tell you about the gravy mishap ), corn, pickles, and apple crisp for dessert.

My children look forward to this.  It is a special time where we observe the crucifixion of Christ and what he did for us.  It is a time where we speak blessing into each others' lives.  It is a time of fellowship, fun, and love.

Photobucket

Celebrations are wonderful and it's important to the life of your children to have these high points in their lives.  Some are little, others are big, but all are ways to solidify the closeness of your family!

You can click on the button below to read more ways about how to love your children at my friend, Kate's blog.


Comments

  1. Hi Terri.. It was nice reading your post of how your family celebrated the shabbat meal... I taught this at a Keepers Meeting... I think it is lovely.. Your children look happy and your table is beautiful...
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your family have special traditions which are shared and enjoyed together. (love your new blog look too, very stylish) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tradition!! We don't have many traditions, but the ones we do we really treasure. I love reading of what other families to do make seasons or holidays very special to their children. This is a wonderful one. Thanks for sharing it, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that must have been with all the family joining together.
    Your Emily is growing into a lovely young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I had a brain freeze this AM....I can still comment on your blog. DAH!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a beautiful post! Traditions and knowledge of our faith are the very best gifts, I think, that we can give to our kids. great pictures!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! We used to do special celebrations pretty often when the children were at home, but rarely do any now that they are grown and out of the nest. This post makes me wonder how we could still have special days, even without the children here. (And boy do I miss them. So glad you are enjoying all this time with yours.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.