Thrifty Thursday

Photobucket

Today I want to focus on ways to stretch our food bill by developing some meatless meals.  Meat prices have gone through the roof!  I have always tried to purchase meat that is under $2 per lb. I try to get chicken breast at no more than $1.29 per lb.  It's been getting harder and harder.to find it at those prices so it's important to use less.

I try to have meals at least 3 times a week that do not include meat.  I'm not talking about being a vegan or vegetarian; just trying to cut back on the amount of meat we use.  So today I thought I'd share some recipes with you that have been a hit here.

Crockpot Macaroni & Cheese

16 oz. elbow macaroni noodles, cooked
4 eggs, beaten
5 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
3 cups milk
2 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper

Add all ingredients to your slow cooker, except 1 cup of the cheese.  Mix well.  Sprinkle reserved cheese on top.  Cover and cook on low for 3 hours until the liquid is absorbed.

Fresh Tomato-Basil Sauce

6-7 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
Salt taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil.

Mix all ingredients, cover and let sit on the counter for 2-3 hours. The juices begin to break down and mix together. Serve over cooked pasta and sprinkle with romano or parmesian cheese.  Serve with homemade bread and a tossed salad.

Pumpkin Soup

6 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
5 whole black peppercorns

1. Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.

2. Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender.

3. Return to pan, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in heavy cream. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.  Serve with fresh bread and a salad.  Better yet, pour into bread bowls!

Vegetarian Fajitas 

2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup quartered, sliced onion
1 cup red, green or yellow bell pepper strips
1 (15-ounce) can black, pinto or kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I make my own)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
6 (6-inch) fajita-size flour tortillas, warmed (I make my own)

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring accasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2. Stir in beans, corn, taco seasoning, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens. REmove from heat; stir in cilantro.

3. Spoon 1/2 cup fajita mixture onto each tortilla; fold in half.




Some other meatless meals I make are:

Vegetarian chili
Mexican stew (stew of pinto beans, veggies, tomatoes, and spices)
Stir fry, using tofu
Honey baked lentils
Lentil soup
Split pea soup

Now I know that some of you are thinking, "My husband will never go for this!"  You have to work with what you have and it's certainly no fun being frugal if you are eating alone! ;-)  So, if your husband is an absolute meat and potatoes man then you can still cut back on the amount of meat you use or find a way to get the best bang for your buck.

Some things I've done is buy the big family packs of meat which are cheaper and divide it into smaller packages before freezing.  Use 1/2 the ground beef you normally would in things like chili and spaghetti.  Cut your bacon in 1/2 before serving.  When I make bacon for breakfast, I cut it in 1/2 before frying and everyone gets 4 pieces, which is really 2 whole slices.  It feels like you are eating more.  I know it sounds silly, but it works!

Homemade pizza is a great way to have meat but keep the amount down.  Whenever I have a couple of slices of bacon left or a piece of chicken breast or a slice of ham, I'll throw it in the freezer.  When I'm making homemade pizza, I'll pull out these bits and pieces and come up with a topping. 

Times are tough lately and developing some basic meatless meals you can make are a way to help cut down on your costs!  I hope you find this helpful.  Experiment on your own with some meatless dishes.  You may be pleasantly surprised at how well they go over!

Comments

  1. Good meat free ideas Terri! I have been thinking that we should have at least 2 meat free meals a week. One recently was setting up a baked potato bar with sour cream, butter, broccoli and cheese, shredded cheese, bacon bits, etc.

    Food Lion here has bone in chicken breasts, legs or thighs for 99 cents a pound this week, so I plan to do a big stock up for the freezer. Hamburger is outrageous! I hope to catch that on sale for the freezer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potato bar is a great idea, Debbie. I have a feeling though my children would be asking where the rest of the meal is! LOL!!!

      Have a blessed day. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great hints and ideas. I recently stumbled upon a helpful blog called budget bytes which gives you an idea of price for each meal you make. I try to plan my meal menues every other week and usually go by what we have frozen and what is on sale.

    I remember years ago when I was first married, we tossed out so much meat and stuff because I was to lazy to check in the freezer before I went shopping and would just buy on impulse. With a teenager now and prices going up constantly, I cringe each time I think about my (very) bad spending habits.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, in the past I was horrible about buying tons of fruits & vegetables and then having to toss them because they went bad. I cringe also when I think about it!

      Have a wonderful day. :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the idea from the other person commenting about the baked potato bar, I will have to try that.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, grocery prices are so much higher these days. You have very good ideas, Terri. We also use just a half a pound of hamburger in some of our meals and nobody knows the difference! Something we do that is very money saving is have a garden. We raise strawberries, potatoes, onions, peas, radishes, lettuce, carrots, sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes, green peppers, pumpkins and cucumbers. I have alot extra so I give to neighbors. I can, store and freeze what we don't eat. We are still eating onions from last year! Our potatoes lasted until the end of January! A garden is alot of work, but it's so nice to be outside in God's creation. Life began in a garden! Good luck with your money saving strategies.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I can't wait to get out and get my garden planted! Unfortunately, I have to wait until towards the end of May for most of it. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  5. Hi Terri.. Thanks for the lovely recipes.. We do the same as hubby is now retired and we do not need as much meat.. You are blessed with the price of your dairy products in the U.S.. Our cheese would cost more than the meat.. smile..
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye! Actually cheese is quite expensive here too, depending on what kind you are getting. However, at least you don't need a big slab of it like you do with meat! :-) Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  6. Once again, an excellent post Terri!
    We do not eat as much meat as we use to, due to the price of it. Nobody in our family seems to mind the meatless meals we have. When I use meat I also try to cut it in half or to double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for another meal.
    Thanks again for sharing your tips and recipes!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine. I am blessed to have a family who really never complains about anything and will eat most anything I stick in front of them. That certainly makes it easier! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  7. A lot of the old time meals that were put together was because people were trying to go meatless for two or three of their meals. For example, Macaroni & Cheese or Baked Beans and Brown Bread, Meatless Spaghetti with Italian Bread and a Salad. Also don't forget things like Hot Dogs and Beans, Tuna and Noodle Casserole. This doesn't cost as much as chicken, pork or beef. Choose meats that are cheaper cuts or a Roast that you can get several meals out of it.

    There are a lot of recipes that use cheese as the source of protein mixed with whole grain pasta or breads that are filling but not as expensive to make as a meat dish. Vegetable Lasagna is a good example.

    Thanks for sharing your recipes, Terri and you have a lot of great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.