Thrifty Thursday

This is late today because I was working on a project all morning that took up every ounce of mental ability and time I had.  :-)  Today I wanted to talk about frugal gift giving.

I really hesitated even bringing this subject up because it just sounds like I'm cheap! The reality is that we have zero discretionary income for gifts so I have to be very thrifty and very creative.  Thrifty doesn't mean thoughtless though.  I really try to put a lot of thought and meaning into the things I give others.

Some people appreciate it and others don't.  Unfortunately, there are people out there who think gifts need to be big and expensive to be meaningful.  So no matter how much I try, my gift won't cut it for them.  Oh well!  It's their loss.

Being frugal in this area will take some planning ahead.  I always scope out the after the holiday, marked down items at different stores.  You can get some really cool deals there.  Like the time I found some really cute, fabric, animal Easter baskets for ten cents.  I've used them to package a gift for a baby shower.  I pack them full of sewn burp cloths or baby washcloths.  They always turn out so cute.

 Photobucket



One year I stocked up on crayons, child's scissors, markers, etc. as I found them on sale.  I made tote bags and filled them with the craft supplies for my nieces and nephews.

Emily has done the same thing for her friends' birthdays.

Photobucket

This past winter, I found a child's cookbook on sale for $3.  One of Emily's friends had a birthday coming up and she loves to cook.  So I made her an apron and Emily gave her that along with the cookbook.

Another time, a friend celebrated her 50th birthday.  I packed a basket with homemade bread, a jar of pickles, and a couple of jars of jam.   I gave her a handmade card with a blessing in it.  Each item in the basket had a bible verse to go with it.  For example, Jesus was the bread of life and because of his death she now has eternal life.  The pickles represented salt and how her life was seasoned with the salt of Jesus.  And so on.  While it didn't cost me anything but a few ingredients and my time, was very meaningful and she loved it.

I've made cards for gifts for Mother's Day.  I just package together 8-10 cards and tie them with a ribbon.

Photobucket


I've given table runners, aprons, dishcloths, and various other sewn items.

Photobucket

So as you can see, gift giving can be frugal.  But at the same time, if you put thought into the things you give, can truly bless someone.


Comments

  1. Lovely post Terri (as usual!!) I am so done with the big and expensive - sadly some don't appreciate it but as you say - their loss :) Happily most people love to know you thoughtfully made and created just for them :)
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma, a devout Christian, always said...It's the thought that counts, not the cost'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely gifts, Terri! Anyone would love to receive them. I would rather have something meaningful and simple than something useless (to me) and expensive. The thought definitely counts more than the price.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love giving handmade gifts too. Since I am trying to live simply, I like to give gifts that hopefully won't clutter up someone else's life ~ I think food gifts that the the person would enjoy are great and since food is getting so expensive ~ hopefully a blessing too! Your ideas are wonderful!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri, we were a lucky recipient of one of the animal baskets with burp cloths - It was very much appreciated, and decorated Lily's dresser for a few years! I think the thought and work that goes into your "frugal" gifts is priceless! :)- Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. I actually forgot about that!

      Delete
  6. I would much rather have home-made gifts that someone made with me in mind than some store bought gift that doesn't have near the thought put into it that a home-made one does.

    I know that you put a lot of thought and love into the gifts that you give and I know that the person who receives it really appreciates your thoughtfulness and the time and energy that you have given to them.

    I have received such gifts from you in the past and have always appreciated the fact that you have spent so much time in creating them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree and usually do a painting for a gift rather than buying something. Most people seem to appreciate the homemade gift, crafted or painted with love. When I think of it, I also pray for the recipient as I paint for them and pray that somehow my gift will touch them with God's love as well as mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live