A Sad Day

IMG_6767

Little Chester showed up on our doorstep about 6 weeks ago.  He was skin and bones and obviously, someone had dumped in on the side of the road.  So while I wasn't looking to add another pet to our mix, we took him in.

He fattened up and was the sweetest thing.  He purred constantly and was very affectionate and playful.  He was also very curious and was always getting into something.  That was his downfall.

Photobucket

Yesterday, unbeknownst to us, he had climbed up in the wheel well of Dan's car.  As Dan drove away, Chester either jumped or fell off and got hit.  I took him to the vet and he had a broken femur, a head injury and a damaged bladder.  They sent him home with pain medication and an antibiotic and he was scheduled for surgery on Monday.

IMG_6803

However, I came down to check on him in the wee hours of the morning and he was in a lot of pain.  I gave him pain medicine and this morning noticed that he was gasping for breath as well as being very uncomfortable and in pain.  He still had not urinated and his bladder was extremely swollen.

I called the vet technician, who is a friend and she promised to stop in this morning to try and catheterize him to relieve some of the uncomfortableness.  By the time she arrived, however, Chester had passed away.  She felt that he may have had more going on inside then the x-ray had picked up.

Untitled

Emily is besides herself.  He was a much loved kitty even though he was with us for such a short time.  It's hard to be the one to bury your pet and I'm feeling kind of sick to my stomach as well.  He is buried in my flower garden and under my butterfly bush where he loved to play.

Photobucket

It's a sad day.

Comments

  1. Awww... So sorry. Losing a pet is so hard. {{{Emily}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beloved cat with us. I pray for all of you because regardless of how long or short our pets are with us, they are family.

    Prayers lifted.
    Lisa M Buske :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, Yes it's a sad day for you. God gives us these furry little friends to love, what a blessing! God will also comfort you all in the loss of Chester.
    We have a much older kitty - the same color - his name is Chester. I'll give our Chester an extra pat in memory of your little Chester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to hear the sad news, the cats at the apple orchard were always climbing up on the tires of parked vehicles. We lost some that way too, but they were farm cats - not a beloved pet of someone as tender and sweet and nurturing as Emily. God bless her heart over this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you Terri. We've been in similar situations, and it's always hard to see our children hurting. Sending you hugs and prayers, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very sad Terri and I am sorry that happened. Sometimes life is just hard, especially for our kids to have to experience hard things.(hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad about Chester. You gave him a wonderful last few weeks of life. He knew he was loved.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry. He was a cute kittie. I had a cat named Nate when I was growing up, and he was the same color.:-) It is very hard to lose a pet, for me now as a grownup as much as when I was younger. Sorry to hear about Chester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The warm fireplaceJuly 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

    Sending love to you all it is very sad to loose a pet, we have lost so many over the years.
    God bless sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.