Man Does Not Live on Bread Alone

IMG_7051

You know the start of the Bible verse, "Man does not live on bread alone...?"

Well, in this case, we may have to this week! LOL!!!  One of the problems, or maybe it's a blessing, of living without credit cards is when you come to the end of your money, it's really the end!  Between the church and Dan's extra job we have enough to pay our bills (which are a few), purchase gas & eat.  

There isn't extra for vacations, clothing, car repairs, a new vacuum (which broke), etc.   If we do anything out of the ordinary, like the recent trip to the aquarium, it cuts into the food budget.

One glitch we ran up against is that both boys have their licenses but that raised our car insurance an extra $250 per month which we do not have.  Until they have jobs, they are unable to contribute to this.  Dan gets paid next Friday and after filling up the cars we have absolutely zero, zilch, nada to live on for the next week.  Anyone else noticing that gas prices have gone through the roof again?

I am posting this NOT to whine and complain but to challenge myself this week.  My challenge is to come up with tasty, filling meals to get us through the week.  I do have $8 in my purse which I can use to pick up some milk.  I have some meat in the freezer, pasta, rice and some veggies so the first part of the week shouldn't be too difficult.  

I started the challenge last night with....

Split pea soup with bacon and homemade Challah bread with homemade jam.  Not the favorite meal around here but after sewing & canning all day long it was the best I could come up with on short notice. 

I'll keep you posted on what the day's menu.  If it looks especially tasty, I'll post a picture.  lol  I'm posting it here because if I make a game out of it, it may actually be fun! I hope!  ;-)

Comments

  1. God is faithful, He will provide.
    We've been through many a week in the same position but here we are anyway- - whether we deserve it or not- - held in the palm of His Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had £31 to last us this week till payday which was friday, it was a challenge, but i had got some food in the freezer and cupboards for such a time. I also believe that God will provide. I will be praying for you, it is amazing what you find in the cupboards.
    God bless sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am being challenged with our budget too. My hubby hurt his back last weekend, so for the past week our business has been shut down, without pay of course!
    We cleaned out the freezers and fridge so I would have a good idea of what we had to use. Hopefully he will be back to work soon, but until then I will just get creative with our meals! :)

    Keeping your family in my prayers!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live