Multitude Monday

Last year I worked in a Kindergarten class and whenever we passed out glue or pencils or paper and one of the children would start to complain about what they got, the teacher would say, "You get what you get, and you don't get upset!"  The children got to the point where they would singsong that themselves whenever one of their classmates started fussing.  :-)

It's been a running joke in our house as well.  When one of the kids start complaining, I'll say, "You get what you get and you don't get upset!"  

I've been discussing this with my son as well.  He's had this running dialogue for the past few months, "I don't want to have a disabilities."  "I want to have a normal life"  When I hear him say this, I get a lump in my throat and my heart feels like it's being squeezed too tight in my chest.  When I can get past the anger in his voice and the sullen expression on his face,  I hear the pain in his voice and the hurt spilling out of him.  How can I convey to him that it's going to be alright when I don't know that myself?

Yesterday, as I was reading I came across these verses in Romans.

Romans 9:20-21 ~ "But who are you, O man, to talk back to God.  Shall what is formed say to Him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?"

There are no easy answers for my son who is hurting.  I can't give him pat answers because that isn't going to make the pain go away.  But I do challenge him to look at his life differently.  To stop dwelling on the things he can't change and strive to be faithful and succeed despite his struggles.

I do remind him that the Lord created him exactly the way he is and does have a plan for him.  That God wouldn't have given Nathan the multitude of things to deal with if He didn't have a use for him.  I do remind him that he can spend his life being miserable, and some do, or to start living the life the Lord has given him.  

And it can be good.  Very good.  If he can get past the anger and hurt and self-pity.

But we are like this at times too, aren't we?  I know I can look at my circumstances and the hand I was dealt and feel angry and frustrated.  Why can't I have an easy life?  Why can't I have the things that others have?  Why do I have to deal with children with so many health issues and a child with major disabilities?  Why does God continue to keep us in a place that is so very hard at times?  Why? Why? Why?

I've forgotten the saying, "You get what you get, and you don't get upset!"  I've forgotten the word of the Lord who says He has a plan and purpose for my life, my children, and my husband.  

So, as I keep the conversation going with my son, I'm also keeping it going with myself.  Learning to be content no matter what the circumstances.  No matter the trials.  No matter the cost.

To continue to take the upset and continue to set my eyes up.


This week I'm thankful for blessings #1,126-1140.

♫ The gift of an air conditioner which got us through some very hot days.

♫ A truckload of mulch & volunteers to lay it down.

♫ Deep, sound sleep. 

♫ Raindrops after a storm
Untitled

♫ Our new kitten who is less frightened a week later.

♫ A great day at the market.

♫ Sunflowers in my garden.

Untitled

♫ Focusing on the Lord in the midst of hard times.

♫ An offer to help with a pest problem.

♫ A dinner made from my garden.

♫ Fresh tomatoes.

IMG_7060

♫ Vegetables from a friend's garden.

♫ Finished projects.

♫ Unexpected family time.

and finally...

♫ Living life where I'm placed.


Comments

  1. Wonderful blessings to be thankful for!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always inspire me with your lists, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that saying. Life can be very hard for some people. My prayers are changing into whining moans just lately :)
    I love your posts Terri. You inspire me to see further than my ill health.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.