Renewed Vision

Untitled

Depressed.

Discouraged.

Frustrated.

Floundering.

These are all words that could be used to describe my husband and myself over the past few months.  We seem to be in a very stagnant place in our lives.  Our church hasn't grown.  We are tight financially.  We've been asking ourselves the hard questions.  Is it time to move on to a new church?  Do we stay in the ministry? Does Dan get a secular job? 

Some of the problem came from the fact that this summer Dan worked 40 hours per week on top of trying to pastor.  You really can't do both well.  Not because it's impossible, but because he is distracted.  How can you pray and visit and prepare sermons and focus on people when every ounce of energy during the day is taken up with work?  And not just any work. 

All summer he was the supervisor of a program for teens and young adults with disabilities.  He was responsible for 5-15 people, depending on the day.  People who have disabilities ranging from developmental disabilities to Down's Syndrome to autism.  He would leave the house at 8:30 in the morning and come home mentally spent around 6:30 in the evening.

His program ended last Friday and he has been off for the past week.  On Tuesday, he begins his regular job with the same agency that will be less hours (30) and on the school schedule.  This past week has been spent praying, visiting, working on a new sermon series, and reflecting on his life and his future.  One thing we both know is that God showed up this week.

He has affirmed His call on Dan's life.  He has given us both renewed vision to reach this community for Christ.  To show people that God loves them.  That He died for them.  That He wants a relationship with them.

One of the things we are praying about is the possibility of Dan leaving his full-time job and refocusing on being a full-time pastor.  That is a huge scary step.  It would leave us trying to figure out an alternative for medical benefits since our church can't afford them.  It would also require making up the difference in income. 

Because I homeschool Emily and I need to also be available for Nathan and God has also specifically called me to work alongside my husband in the ministry, working full-time is not an option.  So we have been praying that God would show us what we should do.  We are praying and fasting about this over the next month or so and would love it if you would pray with us about this as well. 

Unbeknownst to me, Dan had asked for very specific signs that God is working here and that He will provide for us.  God showed us exactly that this week!

This week I'm so very thankful for blessings #1,166-1186.

♥ Dan being able to pray with two dear women in our church.
♥ God providing some extra income with an airport run.
♥ Someone calling and asking Dan to do a baby dedication for them.
♥ 6 ladies signing up for a Bible study.

♥ Beautiful flowers & butterflies.
IMG_7612

♥ A beautiful email from a friend.
♥ The gift of an unexpected outing for my daughter.
♥ Selling an apron and some tea totes.

♥ Purple bounty.
IMG_7602

♥ Saving $240 per month on car insurance by making a phone call.
♥ Seeing my husband's discouragement lift and the excitement back.
♥ A gift of tomatoes and eggs.

♥ Kitten hugs.
Untitled

♥ A very unexpected gift to help us through the next week with no income.
♥ An awesome first week of college for Stephen.
♥ A productive week for me.

♥ A daughter who is always willing to help.
IMG_7605

♥ An uplifting worship service.
♥ Time to work through these things.
♥ God's love for the world.
Photobucket

and finally...

♥ Renewed vision.








Comments

  1. I will pray with you,know the Lord will always walk with you through this time of trial.
    God bless sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Terri,

    I will be keeping your family in my prayers! God knows the plans He has for Dan and your family!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray with you. I love it when God shows up for us and things are much clearer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, I will be praying too. I love you so much and I want all of that depression and confusion in your life to go away. God has a plan and you know it is a good one. You, also, know it will be in His timing. Bless you and Dan for all you do for your family at home and your Church family. Keep the faith.

    Love,
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when God shows us something so specific in answer to our prayers and waiting. God bless you both as you continue to minister to the needs of others. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to feel that renewal in your life. I will pray that God leads you to where He needs you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, I enjoyed this post. I will say a prayer for you both. I can tell miracles will be coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you! One of my dearest friends is a pastor's wife outside the U.S., and her family has been in a similar situation for some years now. Thanks be to God for refreshing your husband this last week and granting you unexpected provisions.

    May He continue to provide abundantly, beyond all you can ask or think, for every need you face and extras besides. May He grow your church and give the members the desire and ability to support those who feed them with God's Word.

    You linked up ahead of me at Holy Experience today. I'm glad I stopped by to have a chance to pray with you in your need. Grace and peace to you in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terri,

    Nice to meet you. I am hoping over from Ann's link up, and counting gifts with you. As a youth pastor's wife whose church has rocked a rocky road throughout the last four years (and is coming through the other end now), I hear you, I understand the asking God to make his will very clear, and the rejoicing over signs from him, renewed joy and purpose, and his many gifts along the way. Hang in there, from one sister to another. :)

    Praying wisdom and leading for you all in the finances now,
    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying with you, Terri, as you and your husband seek to step out in faith and follow God's call on your life. My husband and I have done something similar in the last couple of months. Leaving a "secure" full time position to do that which God has purposed us to do. And He is taking care of all the details and the finances and the lack of medical insurance at the moment. So I will pray that you and your husband will just go for it. Take the leap of faith. God's arms are not too short to catch us...every time!
    sheila

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.