Sharing My Kitchen

I have to admit that as much as I want to, I struggle to loosen up in the kitchen.  I don't always have the most patience and it's hard sharing the kitchen with the children.

However, I do realize that if they are going to learn to make it on their own, they do have to learn some level of cooking.  I'm trying to do better job in consistently allowing the kids to cook.  I decided that one way to do this is to make cooking part of our daily curriculum.  So yesterday, with some guidance, I allowed Emily to take over the kitchen.

Untitled

She made chicken soup for dinner and it was delicious.

IMG_8018

She also made a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting and most of the cake was gone last night.  She did a wonderful job and even though I had to bite my tongue a time or two, it was nice to have her working in there with me.

And the best part was that she was as happy as can be!

IMG_8019

Today, I will be spending a good chunk of my day making and baking bread for a market on Wednesday.  So she'll have plenty of opportunity to practice.

Comments

  1. You are a good mama, Terri.. Enjoy your day.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting her cook is a good thing. I know for a fact there are lots of young women out there who could care less about cooking for their family. She looks good chopping up all those veggies.

    Have a good day!
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to bake with my daughter; my mother wasn't much of a cook and I honestly learn more from my mother in law than I did my own mother. That is great you are spending quality time together and she is learning a new skill.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not precious about my kitchen and love the children to take a hand at anything, you are right its all good practice for later, and they will gain confidence in cooking, or home management.
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls are happier when I turn them loose in the kitchen and leave, as I tend to be too controlling, and make them nervous. It's hard to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love it when they are able to handle the kitchen? Great job, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live