I'm Turning into a Bird Brain

I have a friend who is a bird watcher.  She can rattle of the names of almost every bird she sees.  She has told me often that I would be able to recognize the different birds if I kept at it. But I kind of felt like a bird dunce.  I mean I can recognize the basic birds - a crow, blue jay, cardinal, robin, hummingbird, robin, chickadees.  But I have no clue what most of them are.

However, I've discovered that my repertoire of birds is expanding.  Here are a few pictures I've taken and birds that I've learned over the past few months.

Nut hatch.
Untitled

Junco.
IMG_8883

Tufted Titmouse.
IMG_8891

Cardinal.
Untitled

American tree sparrow.
IMG_8849

Red-tail hawk
Untitled

Today I was so excited to see this guy across the road in a tree.  He is young because you can see the black feathers still peeking through the white on his head.  He sat on the tree branch and was eating a pheasant.

Bald eagle.
Untitled

I took this one a few summers ago and still don't know what it is.  Any ideas? A mockingbird?  Editing to add that I got my answer.  It's a gray catbird.

IMG_2058

I've been enjoying doing some bird watching each day and recognizing the different birds who come to visit each day.

Comments

  1. Beautiful photographs!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bird photographs Terri. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bird photos, Terri. I wish I could take such pictures with my camera but I can't pull them in like you do.

    A mocking bird has a long beak, is light gray above with white breast. It has white patches on its wings which stand out when it is flying as well as two white strips on its long tail which arches upward from its body. The best thing to do is to get yourself a bird book from the library or at a book sale. That helps a lot to identify a bird.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.