Thrifty Thursday: Breakfast & Lunch Ideas

  Photobucket
Today is Thrifty Thursday and I decided to talk about making inexpensive breakfast and lunches.  

Boxed cereals are outrageous, don't stretch very far at all, and are loaded with sugar.  You can probably get 5-6 bowls of cereal out of one regular size box and at almost $4-$5 per box, it's not worth it.  

I have to make Dan's lunch every day and he has no way to heat things up so the standard leftovers won't work.  I don't buy lunch meat, except as a very rare treat, because it's expensive and also very unhealthy.

Here are some of the meals we've had over the past week.  All of the baked good are homemade.

Breakfast

► Sausage gravy & biscuits
► Grits (did not go over well - LOL)
► Omelots
► Bacon, eggs & toast
► Bagels and cream cheese
► Oatmeal
► Homemade granola.

Dan's Lunches Over the Past Week (He likes salad so I do quite a bit of those)

► Salad with hard boiled eggs and leftover chicken, apple, chocolate chip cookies
► Bagel with cream cheese, blackberries, banana, chocolate chip cookies
► Salad with cheese, sunflower seeds, and craisins, apple, cookies
► Tuna sandwich, celery sticks with dressing, sliced strawberries, cookies
► Graham crackers with soynut butter (can't keep peanut butter in the house because of Emily's severe allergy to it), wedge of cheese, orange, and sliced avocado with lime juice.
► Hard boiled eggs, wedge of cheese, apple, cookies.

Kid's Lunches Over the Past Week

► Tuna melt sandwiches, strawberries & blackberries
► Salad with hard boiled eggs, shredded chicken, sunflower seeds and craisins, homemade cheese crackers
► Leftovers
► Omelet with onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese
► Stir fry veggies with leftover meat and rice
► Homemade pizza

I enjoy coming up with different things each day for both breakfast and lunch.  For our family of 5, we spend roughly $500 per month on groceries, which includes all household cleaners, supplies, and personal items such as deodorant and shampoo.  Lately, I've found that shopping once a week is actually more helpful in keeping our costs down.

It's hard with prices going up constantly, but we've been able to manage, have good meals and I can still be creative in the kitchen.

Comments

  1. I agree with you, Terri.. We need to be frugal and starts with from scratch.. smile..
    Thanks for the ideas.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like some good meals! Actually, you made me hungry :) I agree with you about the shopping. I find that if I shop once a week I can plan better and use up leftovers better. It is hard for me to know two weeks or a month ahead what I will need. Also, Mike tends to eat leftovers for snacks sometimes, so I don't always end up with what I think I will at the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live