Though the Mountains Fall




I was at the gym yesterday when the horrific news of the bombings in Boston came over the television screen.  What had started as a happy event for thousands, had turned into a nightmare in the blink of an eye.  The images of bloodied and battered people were heart-wrenching.  The fear and terror on their faces made me cry.

Psalm 46:1-3 ~ 
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.


Nothing can prepare you for something like this.  Those runners and spectators did not plan on their day ending this way.  The questions that run through many people's mind are, "Why do these things happen?"  "What kind of person would do something like that?"   "Where is God when tragedies take place?"

I don't have the answers to any of those questions.  Sometimes I ask the same questions myself.   I do know that this world can be an evil and wicked place and full of sinfulness.  The thing that I focus on during these things is that God is with us.  He is our strength and our help in the midst of these things.  

I choose not to live in fear because I know who is in control.   Even when my time here on earth is up, I have the hope and joy in knowing I will go into His presence.  My heart breaks for those people who do not know Him.  It breaks for those who do not have peace and live in terror of these events.  So many have no where to turn when faced with horrific events.

My prayer is that those of us who do profess Christ would be a light and encouragement to those around us.  Reach out to your neighbor who is facing cancer.  Encourage your friend who is struggling through a divorce.  Hug your co-worker who has just lost a child or loved one.  Be light.  Be hope.  Show Christ's love to a hurting world.

God is our strength and our refuge and an ever-present help in times of trouble.  Trust in Him today.



♥♥♥♥♥♥

My friend, Kate, at Teaching What is Good has allowed me to be a guest blogger today.  You can click on the link or go to my sidebar to go to her blog.  She is such an encouragement to so many women and I know you will love her site.   

Another blogging friend, Elizabeth from Cornish Cream has done a book review of Words of Encouragement for a Discouraged World today.  I so appreciate her and all my friends who have helped to promote the book in this way.  You can click on the link here or go to her link on my sidebar to read the review.  Thank you, Elizabeth!

Comments

  1. Love and prayers to all those affected by the blasts in Boston. Very sad news indeed. Remember WHO is in control... always. Regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri...I found out about the tragedy in Boston, just yesterday...and yes, it did create turmoil in my heart. Then, I became still and realized that Our Lord was in control. We many never know the why behind all the events, but our Truth stands...He is in Control! Our prayers will be with the victims that need it so much at this time. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Maria, God is indeed in control!

      Delete
  3. We do not know the answer to why bad things happen to good people, but we do know God is in control and He is with the victims and their families comforting them. What we can do it pray for the dead victims that they knew Jesus and that He will comfort the injured victims and all their families.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.