Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Hebrews 10:23-25 ~ 

Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Why should we go to church?  Is it because God is waiting to crush us if we don't?  Is our salvation tied to church attendance?  Are we more saintly by meeting together with other believers?

Not at all!  

We meet together on a regular basis with other believers for one reason.  That is to encourage and motivate one another.  I can worship God anywhere I am.  I can sing His praises in my car, in my home and as I walk through the woods.  I can pray at anytime of the day or night with or without another person.

But I cannot encourage myself!  I cannot always motivate myself to show love and do good deeds to others.  It's only through meeting together in a community that I'm able to continually be motivated and encouraged.  It's as I fellowship with other believers that I learn how to work out the love of Christ in my life.  

It's made me sad to see more and more people come to the false idea that they don't need to belong to a local body of believers.  We live in a rogue, lone ranger type of Christianity these days. 

Yet, the reality is that we do need one another.  I cannot possibly know how to pray for you or how to encourage you if I don't have a regular relationship with you.  You cannot encourage me or motivate me to keep up the good work if you never relate to me.  That only comes through meeting together regularly.  I've had people get offended that they didn't know what was going on at the church or that I didn't know what was going on in their lives.  Yet, they only show up once every few months.  How can I possibly do all that?  How can you?

I want to encourage you today to find a local church.  Find a body of like-minded believers to meet with.  Don't isolate yourself.  Don't think you can do it on your own.  God created us as social beings who need fellowship with each other.  Don't park yourself in front of the television and think that you will get everything you need from a t.v. preacher.  You may get a good message but that's it.  You won't have fellowship.  You won't have relationship.  You won't be encouraged by someone who knows you!

Let's keep meeting together. 

Comments

  1. Yes, sadly fewer people are coming together for worship. I know the numbers in our church have dropped since we joined about 10 years ago. I think so many people also get so involved with other activities that church just gets pushed aside. I am so thankful for our church family and that we can encourage one another!

    Blessings,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live