2014 Goals

 Photobucket

Each year I try to sit down and come up with some goals for the new year.  These are not resolutions but actual, attainable goals that I want to work on.  

This year, I found some helpful questions to ask myself as I set these goals.  Here are the questions:
  • What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year? 
  • What’s the most important way you will (by God’s grace) try to make this year different from last year?
  • What single thing that you plan this year will matter most in 10 years? 
  • What area in your life needs simplifying, and what’s one way you can simplify that?
  • What habit would you most like to establish this year? 
  • What is your most important financial goal this year, and what is the most important step you can take toward achieving it?
  • What skill do you most want to learn or improve this year?
  • Who do you most want to encourage this year?
  • If those who know you best gave you one piece of advice, what would they say? Would they be right? What would you do about it?
  • What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God? 
As always, I've broken the goals down into different areas where I want to see change.

2014 Goals

Spiritual 
►  Skip one meal a week to fast and pray.
►  Have consistent quiet times each week.

Marriage Relationship
► Encourage my husband through my words and supporting him in ministry
► Have a date night twice per month 

Health & Nutrition
I think I want to worry less about losing weight, though I need to do that, and more about changing some bad habits.

► Some form of exercise at least 5 days per week and at least 30 minutes each time
► Get outside in the fresh air at least 20 minutes each day instead of staying cooped up in the house
► Cut back on fatty foods & sweets
► At least 3 meatless meals per week.
► One salad per day  

Financial 
► Set aside $100 from each paycheck in a separate "emergency fund" account.
► Save $100 each paycheck in general savings.
► Curtail going out to eat or ordering out to twice a month.  We wasted so much money this past year because I was feeling lazy and didn't want to cook or didn't plan ahead when I had an event going on.  I always feel sick inside when I think of how that money could have been better used.
► Work on building up craft & book business 

Household Organization
► Come up with household organization journal
► Deliberate cooking lessons with Emily  
Garden put in this spring.  There are two large garden beds all set to go here and after no garden last year, I'm looking forward to it!

Ministry
► Pray and figure out what the Lord wants me to do and then be ruthless about not adding to that.  This is a huge mistake I made in our last church.  I took on more and more and all that did was make me feel overwhelmed and burned out and never allowed others to be able to use their gifts.
► Send out cards of encouragement on a regular basis.
► Invite a family over for dinner at least two times per month.

Personal
►  Spend time doing the things I love and am gifted in - crafting, photography, creating, writing.  I struggle so much of the time with a weird sense of guilt assuming responsibilities that aren't mine to assume.  What happens is I run around feeling a bit joyless because I'm not working where I'm gifted.
► Work on living in the moment with my family, and not always stuck behind a computer screen.  In other words, when they are home - engage!  Spend my computer time for the times they aren't around or are busy.
► Work on the next book.  It's in the process. :-) 

There you have it!  They are doable and I can break them down into bite-size pieces.  I'll come back and revisit them every few months to make sure I'm staying on track.

Comments

  1. You are inspiring me! Thanks. Happy New Year, Terri. May God increase as we decrease (declutter) our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Elaine! Looking forward to seeing what God has in store in 2014.

      Delete
  2. Such a great list of goals. I hope you have a happy and healthy 2014, Terri. I am looking forward to seeing God's plans in your life, in your new home and ministry.

    Love you,
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Debbi! I'm looking forward to wiping the slate clean and starting fresh in the New Year. :-) Love you too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live