Bittersweet

We've had some bittersweet days around here lately, though I do have to say that they are more sweet than bitter.

One of the hard parts of moving is we are not only saying goodbye to our church family who are friends but we are saying goodbye to other friends, some whom we've known since we were first married.

I love that the Lord has allowed the busy schedules to work out so that there have been windows of opportunity to spend a bit of time with each of these special people to say goodbye.  Our paths may cross again in the future, but then again, they may not.  I am so very thankful for this age of technology that will allow us to keep in touch even though we no longer live in close proximity.

I want to introduce you to a few of my friends.

Nancy and Phil


June & Larry



When I was in college, I got to know these two couples.  Nancy & June are sisters.  They were a bit older than me and went to the church I attended.  I was a lonely college student and latched onto them and their husbands and they were welcoming immediately.  

They truly viewed me as a friend and not just a pest! lol  In fact, June and her husband, Larry, were the first people I introduced Dan to when we started dating.  Larry took Dan to the city to purchase my engagement ring and we even worked for them for a time.

I spent a week with Nancy & Phil out in California after they moved out there.  We reconnected when they moved back.  Both couples played a role in our wedding. I was their children's first babysitter.

They have huge hearts and I learned so much about accepting other through them and what family means.  They have a very close extended family and the whole family welcomed us.  I'm going to miss them so much!

Melissa & Steve


Dan & I have known these two for almost 20 years, since our days in the inner city.  This was before Dan was a pastor and he would fill in for different pastors when they were on vacation or when a church needed pulpit supply.  We met Steve & Melissa through their church and they were always warm and welcoming.

Melissa is an artist and she taught Emily art lessons last year.  She is also an animal lover, fellow writer and exudes peace and tranquility.  I have loved living so close to her the past ten years and we always enjoy each others company.  

I'm going to miss warm cups of tea, challenging conversation, and the peace of her home.

Tammy & Sean

I met Tammy at a homeschooling meeting when we first moved here and got to know her in that venue.  Dan came kicking and screaming to a meeting with me once and met Sean.  He was amazed that there was a homeschooler out there who was a fan of heavy metal music like he was.  Actually, as time went on, we realized just how kooky they both are! ;-)  LOL

Tammy's mom & sister come to our church and we are going to miss them tremendously too.  Tammy also has a sewing business and I've loved having a friend to sit next to at craft fairs and someone to swap sewing tips and fabric with.

We are going to miss them!

Roy & Anna

When we first arrived in this area as church planters, Roy was attending the church plant.  He led worship and played alongside an older couple in our church.  The music was pretty tame since it involved an acoustic and autoharp.  Little did we realize the talent that was lurking in Roy!  He was just holding back.  lol  

Roy is a talented musician and plays electric guitar like a pro.  Dan used to look forward to Sundays to see which guitar Roy would be bringing!  Roy & Anna were dating and Dan married them.  It was such a privilege to be a part of their wedding.

They go to a different church now since they live so far away but we were blessed to be able to go out to dinner with them last night and catch up.  It was a wonderful night of tears and laughter and we were touched when they laid hands on us and prayed for us and our new ministry at the end of the night.

We've developed such wonderful friendships over the years.  I'm so very thankful that God has given us the opportunity to spend a bit of time with each of these wonderful people before we move.

Comments

  1. Thank goodness for modern technology so you can stay in contact with your friends, Terri. I know it's not the same as seeing them properly, but it does help. I know I appreciate being able to email and chat to my kids now that they live a few hours away from home. Sending you hugs, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real friends never go away from your life, as we have found in our travels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.