Lentil Soup

The temperatures have plunged the past few days to below zero.  It's frigid outside but we are nice and toasty inside.  One of the things I love to make when it's cold out is a big pot of soup for dinner and serve it with homemade bread.  

I made this yesterday and it was so tasty, that I thought I'd share the recipe.  I originally got it from Faye's blog, The Blessed Hearth, but did make some changes.   Here is my version.

Lentil Soup

4 slices of bacon, sliced into small pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 lb. of dry lentils
1 quart of chicken stock (I used homemade)
4 cups of water
1/2 tsp. of thyme
1/2 tsp. of rosemary
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup of elbow macaroni, or any small pasta
Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

Slice bacon and saute in a Dutch oven or large pot until browned.  Add veggies and saute until softened.  Add lentils, stock, water and seasoning and simmer for about 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.  Add macaroni and simmer until pasta is done.  Grate Romano or Parmesan cheese on top.  Serve with crusty bread.

Comments

  1. That is a favourite for us, lentils and bacon are so warming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live